Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC Fans In Canterbury

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Are there any?

I'm moving to the city on Saturday, wondered if I'm in good company!

I'll probably be on the 10:07 from Canterbury West - Lewes for Saturday games. :)

:albion2:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm one, Stripey, well, I live in a village about 6 miles away. I'm driving down on Saturday, but no spare seats I'm afraid as I usually go with my three children and my wife amuses herself in town whilst we're at the match. I usually get the 12:07 if we're taking the train. The train from Ashford to Lewes is a bit of a crawler, but you get there in the end! I saw a Brighton shirt in the High Street a couple of weeks ago. Apart from that, not much. There are BHA fans dotted around, but they're few and far between. Hope your move goes smoothly. How you'll find the city depends on where you've come from and what you're looking for - it's very pleasant, plenty of bars, cafes, places to eat, etc. Easy to get to London, bit harder to get to Brighton unfortunately!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Youngest boy is starting uni there, I am driving him up to his halls of residence on Saturday. He's back for all the Saturday home games.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Used to work in Canterbury about ten years ago, nice place, nice people, quite a few Charlton and Gills supporters down there, didn't know of any Albion fans there then, might be some now.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I'm one, Stripey, well, I live in a village about 6 miles away. I'm driving down on Saturday, but no spare seats I'm afraid as I usually go with my three children and my wife amuses herself in town whilst we're at the match. I usually get the 12:07 if we're taking the train. The train from Ashford to Lewes is a bit of a crawler, but you get there in the end! I saw a Brighton shirt in the High Street a couple of weeks ago. Apart from that, not much. There are BHA fans dotted around, but they're few and far between. Hope your move goes smoothly. How you'll find the city depends on where you've come from and what you're looking for - it's very pleasant, plenty of bars, cafes, places to eat, etc. Easy to get to London, bit harder to get to Brighton unfortunately!

Youngest boy is starting uni there, I am driving him up to his halls of residence on Saturday. He's back for all the Saturday home games.

I'll be starting uni, it seems lively enough! Gave a great impression when I visited. I don't mind the train journey on the way there, but on the way back there's a 50 minute wait at ffsAshford!

STILL worth it though. :albion2:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'll be starting uni, it seems lively enough! Gave a great impression when I visited. I don't mind the train journey on the way there, but on the way back there's a 50 minute wait at ffsAshford!

STILL worth it though. :albion2:

Yep, plenty of drunken students around in the evenings! No-one wants to spend 50 minutes in Ashford. However, it's worth doing a separate search on trains from Ashford to Canterbury on the national rail website - there is often a train 2 or 3 minutes after the Marshlink train pulls up in Ashford and you should be able to get a very quick connection if your train is on time. The national rail enquiries site won't bother giving you this option as it assumes that you refuse to run for a train and/or find uncertainty unpalatable. Marshlink comes into platform 1, Canterbury train from platform 5 or 6 (same staircase, so no panic). Although it's a high-speed train, you don't need a special ticket between Ashford and Canterbury.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I'm currently at Kent University , so if you have any questions about starting up at the weekend let me know, as I currently run two football teams up at Uni too.
There are a couple of us on campus who I seem to bump into, those who didn't go to the Play Off games watched it in the student bar on campus.
Shingle - where is your son staying also?
Let me know if you need any help.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Yep, plenty of drunken students around in the evenings! No-one wants to spend 50 minutes in Ashford. However, it's worth doing a separate search on trains from Ashford to Canterbury on the national rail website - there is often a train 2 or 3 minutes after the Marshlink train pulls up in Ashford and you should be able to get a very quick connection if your train is on time. The national rail enquiries site won't bother giving you this option as it assumes that you refuse to run for a train and/or find uncertainty unpalatable. Marshlink comes into platform 1, Canterbury train from platform 5 or 6 (same staircase, so no panic). Although it's a high-speed train, you don't need a special ticket between Ashford and Canterbury.

Thanks! I know what you mean about connections. They assume everyone has to bum-shuffle to their next train. I will look!

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I'm currently at Kent University , so if you have any questions about starting up at the weekend let me know, as I currently run two football teams up at Uni too.
There are a couple of us on campus who I seem to bump into, those who didn't go to the Play Off games watched it in the student bar on campus.

Cheers! I'm sure questions will fill my head over the weekend! I'm over at Parham Road. :)

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

Parham Road Student Village. He's at Canterbury Christ Church

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My G'daughter started there this week, having moved in on Sunday. She's Brighton born but lived most of her life in Worthing and also went to BHASVIC, so far seems to be having a great time.

Really should have given her an Albion shirt, although she's only mildly interested. I'm hoping to visit on the next International break (Oct 12?) so hopefully she's found me a Real Ale pub. BTW, there is an Albion Street there.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Any Canterbury seagulls making the trip to Wigan? Or anyone in the Kent area?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Blackburn at home - yes
Wigan away - brrrrrr! Too cold...

Fair enough. I can get there on the train for £40. And my ticket would be £10. Just don't fancy the 8 hour return trip on my own!

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah it's a shitter really. What are you doing about the Watford game?

@tinycowboy

jd_gibbo

Sep 1, 2011
Been here for about 2 years now, saw one Liverpool game in the jolly sailor (generally a good shout for football) and spend and agonising night when we lost 6_1 in the cross Keys on oaten mill. Saw a few games In the carpenters arms near Westgate but the best pub If the game is on is the old city bar near waitrose. Next televised game we should sort something out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here