Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Washington Shooting

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was surprised to see no thread about this yet. Are we so used to mass shootings in America that they are no longer shocking news worthy of rushing to start a thread?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24111481
I have a Washington-centric podcast to listen too.
It's a nominal sports radio show which would have been broadcast live in the middle of this incident.

The question is, what's more important in America:-
Mass shooting
or
American Football.

I'll find out later.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A second potential gunman is still around the base. Must be terrifying not knowing who's friend and foe if you're in that area of Washington.

Thoughts with the victims family and friends.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Of course I feel extreme sympathy for any innocent persons caught up in these incidents.

However, the Americans, whose company I have really enjoyed when I have visited, have to grow up and do away with their gun culture/laws. They were understandable in Wild West days but not in a civilised democracy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Of course I feel extreme sympathy for any innocent persons caught up in these incidents.

However, the Americans, whose company I have really enjoyed when I have visited, have to grow up and do away with their gun culture/laws. They were understandable in Wild West days but not in a civilised democracy.

I'm sure it's been said before, but I think gun laws aren't that different in Canada, but generally Canadians don't seem to engage in so many mass shootings for some reason.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I went through Washington yesterday on my way to the Tollgate carvery, didn't notice anything unusual except they had cheesy mash on the menu

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
My office is in central DC, and I frequently visit M Street SE for work, as there are a number of federal government buildings down there, close to the Navy Yard and the Nationals ball park - it's an up and coming part of town, previosuly it was rather desolate and a bit 'off limits' for visitors.

Horrific as the shooting is, and thoughts go to the survivors and those who lost colleagues and loved ones, I am very grateful that it does not appear to be terrorist related - I've been a bit too close to terrorist attacks, and the aftermath, in the past - the consequences of that would be far more serious than continued debate (and no action) about gun control and mental health issues.

I was in the US Capital Building on this years anniversary of 9/11 - it did strike me that it probably wasn't the safest part of the world.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a Washington-centric podcast to listen too.
It's a nominal sports radio show which would have been broadcast live in the middle of this incident.

The question is, what's more important in America:-
Mass shooting
or
American Football.

I'll find out later.
No mention from Kornheiser broadcasting in Washington as this was unfolding.
I guess today's show will be full of it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bit disappointed that we haven't had any conspiracy theories attached to this story yet.

Come on, NSC, don't let me down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a sad old worn record I'm afraid, even Obama could not really vocalise or express any new depth of feelings over this latest shooting. He sounded worn out and bemused and could offer no real solution or rhetoric.

When the last one happened, or the one before that or the previous shooting, oh I mean the one at the infant school, there was a wave of revulsion and a determination that this should not happen again. Consequently a huge number of Americans lobbied for gun control, unfortunately and yet predictably, an almost equal number went out and bought MORE guns !

Slowly but surely the topic slid off the radar until yesterday when it abruptly reappeared and will keep on reappearing. Just be glad we live in a country with few guns.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It's a sad old worn record I'm afraid, even Obama could not really vocalise or express any new depth of feelings over this latest shooting. He sounded worn out and bemused and could offer no real solution or rhetoric.

If he cannot work out a solution to this problem then he needs to go back to kindergarten.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he cannot work out a solution to this problem then he needs to go back to kindergarten.

No mass shootings in Nairobi this week, Sir?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here