Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Connolly cancer surgery and Parkinson's.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Was genuinely sad to hear this. He's had surgery for prostate cancer and has been diagnosed with Parkinson's. I saw a TV interview with him about 6 weeks ago, he had lost loads of weight and his hand's were really shaking. I remember thinking he looks very poorly. Don't want to see him become incapable. I loved his "World Tour" documentaries.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Was genuinely sad to hear this. He's had surgery for prostate cancer and has been diagnosed with Parkinson's. I saw a TV interview with him about 6 weeks ago, he had lost loads of weight and his hand's were really shaking. I remember thinking he looks very poorly. Don't want to see him become incapable. I loved his "World Tour" documentaries.

this exactly
he could stand on a stage in silence and people would be in hysterics and a very good actor as well

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ironic how its Parkinson's as he gave such a break in the business. Great shame he's my favourite comedian.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had treatment for prostate cancer earlier this summer and have early indications of parkinsons diagnosed last year. Apart from a bit of clumsiness (typing is a bit of a 'mare sometimes) it is pretty manageable. Have to be a bit more careful driving but I think Billy will be okay on his trike.
No reason for him to give up on his career for a long while yet
:thumbsup:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I wonder what Kenneth Bigley would think.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Has my sympathy, but never found him funny, every second word he utters is a swear word just to raise a laugh!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
All those years on the piss and all the bugle he had I'm not massively surprised.

One of the saddest things is that he was much funnier when he was on it than when he went teetotal.

Elton John was better when he was on drugs too...I wonder if there's a connection?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ironic how its Parkinson's as he gave such a break in the business. Great shame he's my favourite comedian.

Is that an Alan Partridge line ?
If it isn't then it should be.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Has my sympathy, but never found him funny, every second word he utters is a swear word just to raise a laugh!

I agree as far as his stand up goes but some of his TV programs such as his tours of the UK and Australia were extremely engaging and his enthusiasm is very endearing.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I had treatment for prostate cancer earlier this summer and have early indications of parkinsons diagnosed last year. Apart from a bit of clumsiness (typing is a bit of a 'mare sometimes) it is pretty manageable. Have to be a bit more careful driving but I think Billy will be okay on his trike.
I wish you all the best and hope you get well soon.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Funnily enough that's why the likes of Billy and Rik Mayal were so brilliant on Jackanory - no swearing at all.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
All the best with both SG. My dad was treated for Prostate cancer ten years ago and is going strong in his late 70s. He has also been diagnosed with Parkinson's and since the diagnosis and treatment, the symptoms are pretty well controlled.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wish you all the best and hope you get well soon.

cheers - the cancer is gone and (as my surgeon said) was probably never going to get me (too slow growing). They spotted it when I had an op for a blockage in the urinary tract and cut it out as a precaution "while they were in there" :lol:
The parkinsons is more noticeable than initially but medication controlled so shouldn't become so serious that I can't carry on doing everything I want for years yet. Always been lucky healthy wise and treatments now compared to even a decade ago are way better once diagnosed. Unfortunately few GPs have the time or the ability to make early diagnosis. Again I was lucky. Because my wife is disabled and has early onset dementia I had acess to her psychiatrist and was able to raise my concerns when I noticed changes in my motor skill abilities.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is that an Alan Partridge line ?
If it isn't then it should be.

Certainly not as I really don't like Partridge and find him very unfunny. Just thought it ironic. That is all.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Sad news.

One of my favourite comedians, and his various World Tour shows are brilliant viewing.

His 'Audience With...' show still makes me laugh every time I see it, despite my knowing it virtually by heart at this stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here