Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace chairman calls for cheats to be punished....pot/kettle?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As much as I agree with him, I can't find too much sympathy for his clubs position given the inordinate number of penalties given to the cheat Murray and uber-cheat Zaha last year.

Send off divers, urges Palace chief
16 September 2013 07:57

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish has called for players who dive to be shown straight red cards.
Manchester United's Ashley Young was booked for tumbling over after a challenge by Palace's Kagisho Dikgacoi in United's 2-0 win on Saturday.
Dikgacoi was dismissed when the pair clashed again later in the first half.
"If preventing a goal-scoring opportunity is a straight red then trying to create one by cheating should be a straight red also," said Parish.
Young was booked by referee Jon Moss for the first incident, with replays suggesting the England player had initiated the contact with Dikgacoi himself.
Referee Moss later awarded a penalty to the home side for a challenge on Young by Dikgacoi, who was sent off for denying a goal-scoring opportunity.
"The only player in the incidents yesterday that was honest was Kagisho Dikgacoi and he's sent off and banned for the next match," Parish added in an email to BBC Radio 5 live's 606 programme on Sunday night.
"Ashley Young's dive and the appeal before put pressure on the ref to give a subsequent penalty that was certainly outside the area and probably wasn't even a foul.
"Ashley Young has a yellow card and three points and we have no points and one less player to pick from for the next game.
"Might have cost us a point that might keep us up. Need to get some momentum behind a straight red for a dive."
Palace manager Ian Holloway refused to discuss the incident following the match, saying his opinion "didn't count", but United boss David Moyes said he would not tolerate diving from his players.
"I don't want my players diving. It's not what I want. Dikgacoi definitely throws his leg out but Ashley put his leg into his leg.
"I don't like the rule where every time it is the last man it means it is [a red card]," added Moyes. "I thought it was harsh."
BBC © 2013

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
In all honesty, I couldn't give a toss what the Palace chairman says or thinks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pressure mounting and the season has hardly started :thumbsup:

Of more interest to me is when are Palace going to start shipping loads of goals? Very disappointing so far.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Awwwwww, diddums. :tosser:

What comes around, goes around. :thumbsup:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He's right, but doesn't have any credibility on the issue after not getting his own house in order last season.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The only one you can say that categorically wasn't a penalty was the one that was given. Evra's was a foul, Young played for it and the ref did do well but you see them given, especially at Old Trafford. The one that was given was outside of the box but it was a foul. So regardless of whether it was a penalty or not he had no choice but to send him off. How he can claim Dikgacoi was honest is beyond me!?! As others have pointed out people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. They probably wouldn't have been in the prem but for Zaha's cheating last season.

On a related note is Holloway going to play the poor hard done by every single week? It's more boring than SSN coverage of what Gareth Bale did next.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Awwwwww, diddums. :tosser:

What comes around, goes around. :thumbsup:

This. It's a pointless suggestion anyway as referees often get diving decisions wrong, a booking is enough but serial offenders who are proven to have dived 3+ times ect then there should be retrospective punishment

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Didikoi tried to foul Young outside the area (to prevent a clear scoring opportunity) and the ref makes a mistake and gives the penalty.
Honesty? Give it a rest :rant:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. It's a pointless suggestion anyway as referees often get diving decisions wrong, a booking is enough but serial offenders who are proven to have dived 3+ times ect then there should be retrospective punishment

This is the key I think to stamp it out is a video review panel for retrospective punishment. Referee's often get diving or simulation wrong and it will ruin a game if they send someone off who has actually been clipped but the ref thinks it's a dive.

Players will soon stop diving if on a Monday morning they're picking up match bans retrospectively.

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
For what its worth I think he is right., It wasn't a penalty or sending off. Despite my Brighton rose tinted glasses being well and truly on I would be pissed off if that decision was given against us

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It's true diving ruins the game but it's a bit rich coming from them lot considering how much they profited from it last season.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
For what its worth I think he is right., It wasn't a penalty or sending off. Despite my Brighton rose tinted glasses being well and truly on I would be pissed off if that decision was given against us

Refs get decisions wrong for various reasons in most matches (Leeds winner, calde's red v Newport). The fact that palace got so many dodgy pens last season and that Winifred got booked for diving makes a mockery of every word that parish or any palace say on the subject.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
That's wonderful coming from the chairman of club that got promoted by diving in many games.

The great thing about this decision was it was outside the penalty area and not sure it was a foul anyway, but they went a goal behind and down to ten men from it. The only thing for me that would have made all that even better, was if it had been Zaha and not Young going down.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Pressure mounting and the season has hardly started :thumbsup:

Of more interest to me is when are Palace going to start shipping loads of goals? Very disappointing so far.

When they realise that losing by just 1-0 or 2-0 isn't going to keep them up so they had better try & attack....hey presto they will start getting stuffed & demoralised

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well if that's the case then you lot are fooked. Lopez, Buckley, Orlandi and Lua Lua are all divers/cheats of the highest order.

Yeah but as we are a top Championship team we'll probably get away with it more often than not, just like you did last season. Zaha and Murray were very good at it. However you are cannon fodder this year and you are unlikely to get many decisions at all against the top Premier League clubs, better get used to it or you will be whinging all season :thumbsup:

It's wrong but I will enjoy it :smile:

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah but as we are a top Championship team we'll probably get away with it more often than not, just like you did last season. Zaha and Murray were very good at it. However you are cannon fodder this year and you are unlikely to get many decisions at all against the top Premier League clubs, better get used to it or you will be whinging all season :thumbsup:

It's wrong but I will enjoy it :smile:

A top Championship team? :laugh: You're mid-table fodder at best.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Didikoi tried to foul Young outside the area (to prevent a clear scoring opportunity) and the ref makes a mistake and gives the penalty.
Honesty? Give it a rest :rant:

I think he was very unlucky to be sent off. Ashley Young deliberately ran across him hoping for a foul and the defender just tried to make a last-ditch tackle. He actually did wrap his foot around the ball.

However, the hypocrisy of Palace for moaning about diving after last season's shenanigans is hilarious. I wonder what sort of punishment Parish thinks a player should get if, for instance, he takes a dive in the last couple of minutes of a game and the opposition end up relegated as a result of the free-kick? Peterborough might like to know. Plus all those penalties. Let's see what his take on it is the first time Murray hits the deck in the Premier League.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A top Championship team? :laugh:.

Top 4 last season with biggest gates of the division and recovering well from the dramas of last season, yes I do believe we are. Anyway this thread is about YOUR problems not ours.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here