Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players urged to wear rainbow laces

Jimmy Grimble

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i would like to see these people explain to a footballer that he has to replace his lucky laces and also explain to him and his agent that fracking with the appearance of his boots will possibly screw with his boot sponsorship

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
i would like to see these people explain to a footballer that not only can he no longer as per his routine fold the left hand lace luckily over the right hand lace first but also explain to him and his agent that fracking with the appearance of his boots will possibly screw with his boot sponsorship

I'd be surprised if the laces themselves are sponsored. The challenge might be for some of the players putting them in the boots in the first place and of course tying them!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'd be surprised if the laces themselves are sponsored. The challenge might be for some of the players putting them in the boots in the first place and of course tying them!

this site doesnt work well if you can reply to my original unedited badly worded post.

Rainbow Clackers coming our way soon i fear

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Odd.jpg

Odd ... BHA not in the list. Then I noticed it's 6 months out of date so checked out the FA site:

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/TheFAPortal/governance-docs/equality/football-v-homophobia/football-v-homophobia-leaderboard.ashx

Sussex FA and Lewes listed but no BHA.

All a bit peculiar ... anyone know why we don't seem to have engaged with this?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bliss for the full kit wankers I would have thought.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Personally I would be happy to see this die a quiet death. I agree with the general sentiment, but just resent the vacuous PR propaganda it represents.

Stonewall deputy chief executive Laura Doughty said: "It's time for football clubs and players to step up and make a visible stand against homophobia in our national game. A number of people and organisations with image problems, popular amongst fee earning PR types have been quick to link themselves to this "good cause" including Joey Barton and Paddy Power.

Laura who is probably not a season ticket holder at Swindon Town, fills in for the Chief Executive of a charity, yet still finds time to involve herself in the grass roots of our national game.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Can I just say, those laces are pretty damn cool. (well, I like them anyway)

Rainbow-laces-008.jpg

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think it's a fabulous idea (darlings). Some may mock, but the wearing of BLACK laces by millions of footballers over the centuries has had a massive - & indeed exceptionally positive - effect on race relations throughout the beautiful game.

I thank you. x x

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I wouldn't mind putting a pair on my boots, just to spice them up a bit

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Can I just say, those laces are pretty damn cool. (well, I like them anyway)

Rainbow-laces-008.jpg

doesn't look as daft with multi coloured boots but would look rather strange with traditional black boots , but not many players seem to go down that road anymore

</oldfart>

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's a naff example of gesture politics from a risible campaign with the awful counter-productive name 'Right Behind Gay Footballers.' And to bring Paddy Power into it 'because they talk the language of fans and players' goes to show how vacuous it all is.

The continuing miss-selling of the legacy of Justin Fashanu is deplorable. And now we have this insipid, misleading 'we can change the world by changing the colour of our laces' mindset. I wonder how many wrong turnings these campaigns against homophobia are going to take.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It's a naff example of gesture politics from a risible campaign with the awful counter-productive name 'Right Behind Gay Footballers.' And to bring Paddy Power into it 'because they talk the language of fans and players' goes to show how vacuous it all is.
Absolutely spot on. Falls into the category of 'doing something and pretending it's good'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Absolutely spot on. Falls into the category of 'doing something and pretending it's good'.

Yep...but I'd just change that doing something to "doing something trivial".

Saying that, it has made me wonder about the Help For Heroes wristband that I wear. Is that just a futile gesture that does nothing more than make me feel good? I hope not but it has got me thinking if that's the equivalent.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here