Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premier League: Emperor's New Clothes?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know our match was rubbish for 45 minutes, but can you really get excited by the Premier League hype any more?

This weekend

Hull v Cardiff
West Brom v Fulham
Southampton v West Ham
Stoke v City

All dull fixtures.

West Ham are 10th in the table but have had SIX shots on target in four games.

The Championship may be slower, but it is more exciting, and less predictable, by a long way. No one would have expected Hull and That Lot to go up last season. We now have Blackpool leading the division, whereas in the PL it is already the same top six as last season.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
As a neutral, its not that great. However, I would imagine, and no lying, that a lot of people would have preferred a trip to Old Trafford yesturday rather then the Madjeski today.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know our match was rubbish for 45 minutes, but can you really get excited by the Premier League hype any more?

The Championship may be slower, but it is more exciting, and less predictable, by a long way. No one would have expected Hull and That Lot to go up last season. We now have Blackpool leading the division, whereas in the PL it is already the same top six as last season.

I know people will slate me for this but I don't want to get promoted. I know it's good for the club to have the money but from a fan's point of view the Championship is a better league to be in for entertainment. I'd rather be battling in the top ten of the Championship than wallowing in the bottom four of the Prem, and paying through the nose for the privilege. Maybe we could do a 'Palace' and have just one year before getting relegated to get all that lovely dosh and then get back to real competition?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

This weekend

Hull v Cardiff
West Brom v Fulham
Southampton v West Ham
Stoke v City

All dull fixtures.

West Ham are 10th in the table but have had SIX shots on target in four games.

You'll be excited enough with the Premier League when we get there in a couple of years El Pres.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Premier League has been ruined by money. It isn't competitive and for me, I prefer being in the Championship. It is fast paced, plenty of quality players and all clubs have a chance on any day.

This is the best league in England.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm constantly told by my Liverpool supporting friend how crap the championship is, he actually believes that the predictability of the top 6 makes it better than our league, he thinks big teams should beat small teams and that's that.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You'll be excited enough with the Premier League when we get there in a couple of years El Pres.

Did it all the last time Q, and remember within two seasons less than a hundred of us at away matches it was so crap.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Did it all the last time Q, and remember within two seasons less than a hundred of us at away matches it was so crap.

There might be a resentment of the top flight by many because of what they earn but that's the point really. They get that because the product is so much better now.
As for the drop off in away support last time, well I can't explain why you got disallusioned so quickly
Unless you thought last time we went there we were going to win it....... I mean ..did you ?
I know I want to get there although you obviously don't. Puts you in a dilemma though doesn't it ?

I think that threat of getting your head kicked in every other saturday may have reduced the away crowds btw EP.

Last edited:

My perception of the Premier League is influenced by the fact that the only teams I haven't seen play against the Albion in recent years are Manchester United, Everton, West Bromwich Albion and Fulham.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm constantly told by my Liverpool supporting friend how crap the championship is, he actually believes that the predictability of the top 6 makes it better than our league, he thinks big teams should beat small teams and that's that.

When you say he supports Liverpool, does he actually go to the games? or does he just follow their results in his full kit?

D

Deleted member 18477

I like watching the big games and Derbys... Not really bothered by the top 6 at home to the lesser sides though.

The big teams away to the lesser teams is sometimes a good watch.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
When you say he supports Liverpool, does he actually go to the games? or does he just follow their results in his full kit?

Made me giggle :thumbsup: Well he held a home season ticket a few years back (during Hodgson's tenure I believe :lolol: ) and has in fairness supported them all his life but he only gets up there a few times every season these days, cost is an issue

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I know people will slate me for this but I don't want to get promoted. I know it's good for the club to have the money but from a fan's point of view the Championship is a better league to be in for entertainment. I'd rather be battling in the top ten of the Championship than wallowing in the bottom four of the Prem, and paying through the nose for the privilege. Maybe we could do a 'Palace' and have just one year before getting relegated to get all that lovely dosh and then get back to real competition?

which is fine, except each one of those battles in the top 10 will ultimately end in failure, which isn't fun, a la last season.

You go to games to support your team and see them win. If they win they go higher up the table and if they do it frequently enough they get promoted. If you don't want them in the Premier league what is the point in supporting them and wanting them to win as many games as possible ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair it has been a particularly shite weekend in the PL, both from the point of view of fixtures, and matches/results. Normally it is a lot better.

But that aside the Championship is a brilliant league in its own right, and has been for a couple of years. Loads of clubs that are either big and well-supported, or ambitious and up-and-coming, or just very well run and doing well against the odds like Barnsley. It was the one consolation from the shambles of the Palace game and everything else, we're still in a great league in which to be watching decent football in front of 25,000-plus.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One major advantage of being in the Prem is that for the fan of clubs like ours, is that the downside of relegation is having an exciting year in the championship to look forward to.

You watch how people's arses start twitching if we slip to 20th or lower this season. NOBODY (well, not many of us) wants to return to league one, 6000 gated and cr@p grounds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here