Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Two Unfortunates: 'Oscar Garcia is reshaping Brighton well'

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Bayern Munich’s Champions League win in May has raised suspicions that the stylistic worm may have turned in European football with power reasserting its traditional hegemony over the delicate arts.

Not that Bayern are any slouches in the skills department mind – it’s just that they are just as likely to break rapidly with raking passes and muscular bursts than to keep the ball patiently, aiming to prise out an opening.

In English league football, Swansea City have been the standard bearers for the now threatened credo perfected by Barcelona and the slow evolution of the game on these shores will no doubt allow them to profit from it for a good while yet.

The Swans’ chief imitators in recent times have been Brighton and Hove Albion – marginally less successful in that the ethos has failed to help them to the Premier League, but admirable nonetheless in their dogged adherence to the cause.

That may have been threatened by the unseemly departure of Gus Poyet this summer of course – so the Seagulls have been keen to maintain a certain continuity.

Hence, while the Swansea blueprint laid down by Roberto Martinez has been maintained by the likes of Brendan Rodgers and Michael Laudrup, the south coast club have looked to another manager with Hispanic antecedents in Óscar García.

At the Madejski Stadium yesterday, it was soon clear that there is life in the old passing dog yet. Arraigned against a Reading side hoping to develop a more patient style of play but still largely reliant on strength and force, Albion maintained their devotion to the old values.

It helps that García has assembled such an impressive back line of course and there can be few more reliable netminders in the Championship than Tomasz Kuszczak – he was only rarely called into action by a shot shy Reading – save for two comfortable parries from Jem Karacan long rangers.

Making Matthew Upson’s loan deal from Stoke a permanent one looks on this evidence to have been a canny piece of business from García with the ex-England man looking classy and assured on the ground where he spent a highly successful loan spell eleven years ago now. It’s still only three years since the former Arsenal youngster nodded in against Germany in Bloemfontein and that he’s now a full time Brighton and Hove Albion player is a coup to make up for the loss of another loanee, Wayne Bridge, energetic after being introduced at half time here.

Alongside him, Gordon Greer continues to be fundamental to the Seagulls for no matter how carefully you want to pass the ball, having an enforcer in your rear window will always give you confidence while Brighton are also extremely well served at full back.

We know all about Iñigo Calderón of course – a real stalwart throughout the club’s rise and surprisingly active in the opponents’ penalty area on this occasion while Stephen Ward is a very different kind of full back but looked well nigh impassable on the left – he was the main reason for Royston Drenthe’s miserable afternoon, capped when the Dutchman was withdrawn tactically after the sending off of Pavel Pogrebnyak.

In midfield, the tinkering with personnel has been most evident – Liam Bridcutt was missing with a groin problem but Ward’s Republic of Ireland teammate, Keith Andrews, one of the few Eire players to emerge with an enhanced reputation after Euro 2012, used all his experience to perform the water carrier role to tenacious perfection.

Andrews sat at the base of a diamond which saw two comparative newcomers to the first XI both cope well with the ebb and flow.

Jake Forster-Caskey has a Reading legend for a father and one for a stepfather for good measure and I had last seen him perform faintly inconsistently in an Oxford United shirt a year ago. Not so here – he was always busy and gave as good as he got against the opposition’s two best players on the day in Karacan and Danny Guthrie (excepting Alex McCarthy of course).

Ditto Andrew Crofts, who has been in and out of the side since arriving from Gillingham and this lower league stalwart certainly didn’t look out of place as Brighton found it far easier to find a rhythm than Reading.

In attacking areas, Kazenga Lua Lua was probably the Seagull’s most effective player on the day and if the comparison isn’t too grandiose, every tiki-taka outfit needs a dribbler to provide penetration – Lua Lua found the gap between Sean Morrison and Chris Gunter an ample one and he’ll be satisfied with his afternoon’s work. The same might also be said of David López, to this observer at least, surprisingly preferred to Will Buckley – his crossing was always dangerous as was his ability to control delicate passes to the wing.

Which leaves Leonardo Ulloa, harshly sent off in a classic piece of ‘evening of the scores’ by the referee – before he raised his foot a little too high to receive his marching orders, he had provided Alex Pearce in particular with a torrid afternoon and it’s no surprise that his goals to game ratio (13:21) is so good.

So the raw materials continue to be very pliable down Falmer way and Ashley Barnes served notice of his ability too with a smart volley that forced McCarthy into a great save after coming on. Other such as Lewis Dunk, Craig Mackail-Smith and Kemy Agustien wait in the wings – it would be highly surprising to still see Brighton marooned in fifteenth place come May.

http://thetwounfortunates.com/eye-w...a-is-reshaping-brighton-well/?fb_source=pubv1

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Ditto Andrew Crofts, who has been in and out of the side since arriving from Gillingham". Yeah, he was indeed out of the side for a while - because he was at Norwich!

EDIT: Bugger, beaten to it!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bayern Munich’s Champions League win in May has raised suspicions that the stylistic worm may have turned in European football with power reasserting its traditional hegemony over the delicate arts.

Not that Bayern are any slouches in the skills department mind – it’s just that they are just as likely to break rapidly with raking passes and muscular bursts than to keep the ball patiently, aiming to prise out an opening.

In English league football, Swansea City have been the standard bearers for the now threatened credo perfected by Barcelona and the slow evolution of the game on these shores will no doubt allow them to profit from it for a good while yet.

The Swans’ chief imitators in recent times have been Brighton and Hove Albion – marginally less successful in that the ethos has failed to help them to the Premier League, but admirable nonetheless in their dogged adherence to the cause.

That may have been threatened by the unseemly departure of Gus Poyet this summer of course – so the Seagulls have been keen to maintain a certain continuity.

Hence, while the Swansea blueprint laid down by Roberto Martinez has been maintained by the likes of Brendan Rodgers and Michael Laudrup, the south coast club have looked to another manager with Hispanic antecedents in Óscar García.

At the Madejski Stadium yesterday, it was soon clear that there is life in the old passing dog yet. Arraigned against a Reading side hoping to develop a more patient style of play but still largely reliant on strength and force, Albion maintained their devotion to the old values.

It helps that García has assembled such an impressive back line of course and there can be few more reliable netminders in the Championship than Tomasz Kuszczak – he was only rarely called into action by a shot shy Reading – save for two comfortable parries from Jem Karacan long rangers.

Making Matthew Upson’s loan deal from Stoke a permanent one looks on this evidence to have been a canny piece of business from García with the ex-England man looking classy and assured on the ground where he spent a highly successful loan spell eleven years ago now. It’s still only three years since the former Arsenal youngster nodded in against Germany in Bloemfontein and that he’s now a full time Brighton and Hove Albion player is a coup to make up for the loss of another loanee, Wayne Bridge, energetic after being introduced at half time here.

Alongside him, Gordon Greer continues to be fundamental to the Seagulls for no matter how carefully you want to pass the ball, having an enforcer in your rear window will always give you confidence while Brighton are also extremely well served at full back.

We know all about Iñigo Calderón of course – a real stalwart throughout the club’s rise and surprisingly active in the opponents’ penalty area on this occasion while Stephen Ward is a very different kind of full back but looked well nigh impassable on the left – he was the main reason for Royston Drenthe’s miserable afternoon, capped when the Dutchman was withdrawn tactically after the sending off of Pavel Pogrebnyak.

In midfield, the tinkering with personnel has been most evident – Liam Bridcutt was missing with a groin problem but Ward’s Republic of Ireland teammate, Keith Andrews, one of the few Eire players to emerge with an enhanced reputation after Euro 2012, used all his experience to perform the water carrier role to tenacious perfection.

Andrews sat at the base of a diamond which saw two comparative newcomers to the first XI both cope well with the ebb and flow.

Jake Forster-Caskey has a Reading legend for a father and one for a stepfather for good measure and I had last seen him perform faintly inconsistently in an Oxford United shirt a year ago. Not so here – he was always busy and gave as good as he got against the opposition’s two best players on the day in Karacan and Danny Guthrie (excepting Alex McCarthy of course).

Ditto Andrew Crofts, who has been in and out of the side since arriving from Gillingham and this lower league stalwart certainly didn’t look out of place as Brighton found it far easier to find a rhythm than Reading.

In attacking areas, Kazenga Lua Lua was probably the Seagull’s most effective player on the day and if the comparison isn’t too grandiose, every tiki-taka outfit needs a dribbler to provide penetration – Lua Lua found the gap between Sean Morrison and Chris Gunter an ample one and he’ll be satisfied with his afternoon’s work. The same might also be said of David López, to this observer at least, surprisingly preferred to Will Buckley – his crossing was always dangerous as was his ability to control delicate passes to the wing.

Which leaves Leonardo Ulloa, harshly sent off in a classic piece of ‘evening of the scores’ by the referee – before he raised his foot a little too high to receive his marching orders, he had provided Alex Pearce in particular with a torrid afternoon and it’s no surprise that his goals to game ratio (13:21) is so good.

So the raw materials continue to be very pliable down Falmer way and Ashley Barnes served notice of his ability too with a smart volley that forced McCarthy into a great save after coming on. Other such as Lewis Dunk, Craig Mackail-Smith and Kemy Agustien wait in the wings – it would be highly surprising to still see Brighton marooned in fifteenth place come May.

http://thetwounfortunates.com/eye-w...a-is-reshaping-brighton-well/?fb_source=pubv1

Thanks for this, it sounds a fair assessment of where we are and will be heading. Oscar was a very shrewd appointment and hats off to the club for all the hard work behind the scenes and getting him over here.

A Royal Flush in poker terms.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Slight disservice to Gordon Greer's passing ability and general comfort on the ball (at least I think) - but other than that a nice piece indeed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think both red cards were harsh. Nice write up though, very positive about where the team is heading.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Having watched the game from yesterday, i had to record it. I thought we looked quality, some lovely passing moves, by far the better side. Bodes well

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a good article - The Two Unfortunates usually are. And yes we are still looking good under Oscar. Yesterday was very encouraging.

As a blogger though I do wish people would just post the link and something like 'good / interesting article' rather than reposting the whole thing on another site. Even very small blogs are always trying to improve their content and site traffic is the best indicator that you are doing something right.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a good article - The Two Unfortunates usually are. And yes we are still looking good under Oscar. Yesterday was very encouraging.

As a blogger though I do wish people would just post the link and something like 'good / interesting article' rather than reposting the whole thing on another site. Even very small blogs are always trying to improve their content and site traffic is the best indicator that you are doing something right.

This is an excellent point. On many other sites, it is actually a condition. You're not allowed to lift entire blogs/articles but instead have to post extracts and a link.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

Normally I'd just post the link for that very reason - I'm not really why I decided to copy the whole thing this time

Perhaps a mod could remove the text from my opening post and just leave the link?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ulloa "harshly" sent off, really ? I thought it was a straight red any day of the week, though not malicious at all, but that doesn't matter. The ref did show every sign of wanting to even things up though - though he also seemed to want to finish the first half 8 v 8.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I take your point, but I'm on a coach journey through Milan, with only a shitty Blackberry for company. It would take about an hour to load the page, so I'm quite grateful for the raw text.

Also, this form of 'publishing' has done the same job of a link because it has got my interest. If it was just a link to a blog I may be less inclined to bother.
I will look more into The Two Unfortunates, as I had heard about them before but wasn't sure what the setup was (Are they written by fans of the specific team? How many stories a month about the Albion, etc?).

Apart from a dodgy intro, I thought it was a good read, and good analysis of the game. Although in parts it was a bit too positive; Ulloa wasn't 'unfortunate', for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here