Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why don't Southampton play in stripes anymore?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Cheap way of introducing a new kit, choose a template kit, slightly different to the usual design (no stripes) and mug the punters off for a season or two then have an amazing epiphany and reintroduce stripes in a couple of years.

Now what other south coast team has ever done that?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
They haven't always played in stripes. Southampton's best ever kit was the one they used in the first five years of the 1980s:

soccer-southampton.jpg

After that, I don't think they had stripes for the rest of that decade. Time for a revival of that classy kit?

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
They haven't always played in stripes. Southampton's best ever kit was the one they used in the first five years of the 1980s:

soccer-southampton.jpg

After that, I don't think they had stripes for the rest of that decade. Time for a revival of that classy kit?

That is stripes. A red one, a white one and then another red one...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who is the Saints player in that photo?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
shirtssoth1.jpg

They also had this weird hybrid stripes kit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My favourite Albion kit of all time was when we had an all-white shirt back in the mid 1970s.

D

Deleted member 18477

Stripes or not... Southampton's current kit is LOVELY!!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
My favourite Albion kit of all time was when we had an all-white shirt back in the mid 1970s.

We wore Blue shirts with white sleeves when I started watching. I wish we could go retro to that for a season or two.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

soccer-southampton.jpg

When I think of Southampton that is the kit I picture them wearing. They also used unique footballs at the Dell, I can't find a picture of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here