Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Know Your Mushrooms

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Like a bit of foraging but having problems identifying these three.
First two are the same fungi, think the brownish one with a yellow bottom of the cup may be a bay bolete but not sure as the cap isn't like an umbrella.
They're not in my book so not sure
Can anyone indentify these.

34grbja.jpg

9i4n44.jpg

2096jyw.jpg

6fnlaf.jpg

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Last ones I think are Magic Mushrooms certainly look like them

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The bottom one looks like ones I ate when I was young and gave me chronic diarrhoea. But they were just in a field and I ate them uncooked.....

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Cap: 5-14cm. Chestnut brown. Slightly viscid when wet.

Stem: Slightly paler than the cap. No ring.

Tubes: Yellow, bruising bluish green

Pores: Slightly sunken around the apex of the stem.

Spores: Walnut brown

Flesh: White to pale yellow. Bruises bluish green

Habitat: Mixed woodland

Frequency: Very Common

Looks and sounds like a bay bolete

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
They're not Fly Agaric. The most feared mushroom in Britain because it includes the Death Cap. They look like a 'cracked egg' and have a skirt-like ring on the stem just beneath the cap. Eat one of those deadly f**kers and there's a 50% chance of dying. The first 24 hours and you'll be feeling ok but the mushroom inside will be destroying all your internal organs (liver, kidneys, pancreas etc) and sickness will be the first symptom. There's really no way back from there.

It's this time of year that they grow in woods under trees with the warm and wet weather.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Every tasty one has a horrid lookasimilar.

The third one looks like Boletus Satanus as the stem looks reddish, you need to cut said stem to see if it has yellow fluid then if so its a nasty.

First rule of Mushroooming, go with someone who knows what they are doing. Guess work and NSC intelligentsia will leave you taking a dirt nap at worst.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
e

Ist rule of Mushrooming
Never EVER take a mushroom with Gills,(straight lines from stem to outer rims" Tesco sell bog standard mushrooms and bog standard mushrooms at tesco are safer with no risk.

Nver EVER eat a raw mushorom.

Be quiet you ****ing idiot, gills or spounge can be edible or poisonus.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
They're not Fly Agaric. The most feared mushroom in Britain because it includes the Death Cap. They look like a 'cracked egg' and have a skirt-like ring on the stem just beneath the cap. Eat one of those deadly f**kers and there's a 50% chance of dying. The first 24 hours and you'll be feeling ok but the mushroom inside will be destroying all your internal organs (liver, kidneys, pancreas etc) and sickness will be the first symptom. There's really no way back from there.
Fly agaric are NOT Death Caps. Fly Agaric will make you feel sick, sleepy & make you trip strongly. They are red/orange capped with white spots & grow throughout the world, varying in potency from region to region.
Death caps will though, as you say, destroy you from within over a few days.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Be quiet you ****ing idiot, gills or spounge can be edible or poisonus.

:lolol:

this is correct.
Trouble is the varieties I'm finding aren't in my book so makes it tough. Without being totally sure, I'm not taking them.
For example, the third picture, medium brown cap with yellow gills looks like the bay bolete but the photo I have shows it having an umbrella cap not flat like the one I've picked. There's loads of them about so if I can get a definate match, I'll be able to take a load and freeze them

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
:lolol:

this is correct.
Trouble is the varieties I'm finding aren't in my book so makes it tough. Without being totally sure, I'm not taking them.
For example, the third picture, medium brown cap with yellow gills looks like the bay bolete but the photo I have shows it having an umbrella cap not flat like the one I've picked. There's loads of them about so if I can get a definate match, I'll be able to take a load and freeze them

I learned by going out with pickers. Unless it specificly states as such Im not bothered by cup or umbrella distinctions. 2 general rules are red=bad and if in doubt dont eat it. I tend to go for boletus, parasols, chantrille and Puff balls as im quite confident in what I am dealing with. Psylobin can be amusing as well but technically they contain toxins.:lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's the difference between a mushroom & a toadstool?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
What's the difference between a mushroom & a toadstool?

Not sure there is but in general, mushrooms are for eating and toadstools aren't.
Not sure there is a scientific difference although I stand to be corrected

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here