Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What ocean going ships have you sailed on as a passenger?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Inspired by the Navy thread that I am unable to contribute to :rolleyes:

As a small kid I sailed on the Union Castle line Winchester Castle, Tommy Steele was also on board and I vaguely remember chatting to him. He was a genuine big star at the time.

The P@O Oriana just before they scrapped her

I also went on board the SS France after she was renamed the SS Norway but it was just a visit to look over her.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Dover - Calais ferry more times than I wish to recall. Same with Newhaven to Dieppe. Got on one at Portsmouth once, that was shit as well. I hate ferrys.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Inspired by the Navy thread that I am unable to contribute to :rolleyes:

As a small kid I sailed on the Union Castle line Winchester Castle, Tommy Steele was also on board and I vaguely remember chatting to him. He was a genuine big star at the time.

The P@O Oriana just before they scrapped her

I also went on board the SS France after she was renamed the SS Norway but it was just a visit to look over her.

Its a little known fact that tommy Steele was lined up to sing at princess di's funeral in case Elton john was too emotional, he wasn't going to sing candle in the wind though

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Its a little known fact that tommy Steele was lined up to sing at princess di's funeral in case Elton john was too emotional, he wasn't going to sing candle in the wind though

Ugly Duckling?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle in the late 50s. One Southampton/Capetown and the other in the opposite direction a year later.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Have worked on these (and more!)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379261838.301828.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379261852.618182.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379261863.768139.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379261872.429159.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379261881.368062.jpg

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
As a child I sailed all around the UK aboard various BP tankers. We also sailed regularly to Antwerp, Hamburg and Rotterdam on these vessels - one name I recall was The Lord Strathcona. The highlight of my experiences was sailing across the North Atlantic to Montreal up the St Lawrence Seaway aboard a Canadian Pacific vessel the CP Ambassador (a container ship). Wonderful memories.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Mv Patricia in the early 70's was a mini cruise to santander from southampton .

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mv Patricia in the early 70's was a mini cruise to santander from southampton .

Forgot about that one, been on it a few times. Sick as a dog through the Bay of Biscay on one crossing.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I sailed from ascension island to the Falklands on the ss Uganda

Educational cruise on her, 1976. The sight of drunken matelot's in Malta getting paid for it made my mind up on which career to go for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here