Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the next two games define our season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are playing away against two of the genuinely strong squads. Put in two good performances, we don't even have to win and the confidence will start to flow, but bad defeats could derail us IMO.

Garcia will find out just what it takes to be competitive in this league I feel. We'll have a much better idea of whether he is up to it after QPR.

I was very confident under Gus going into games like this as you knew we would be well organised, even if a bit defensive, I'm not sure that 11 men behind the ball is the Oscar way, but are we good enough to actually try and take the game to Reading and QPR?

I could of course be talking bollocks, it does happen :smile:

Really looking forward to it though.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not the next two - the next two are sides you'd expect to be fighting in the top three

Bolton, Ipswich , Sheffield Wednesday , Forest following it will give us more of an idea mind.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
After the next two games there will still be 39 games to go.

That's 117 points up for grabs.

We could easily be 16th on New Years Day and still get promoted from this nutty league.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Yes, if we can get results in these 2 games..

Playoffs could easy be insight, who was top of league last season : cardiff...

Who expected us to win 2 - 0 away to cardiff? This result helped us make playoffs!!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

We could easily be 16th on New Years Day and still get promoted from this nutty league.

Agreed but I just have this feeling that we are going to be really good this season which means we will need to get something from games like these. The way I feel at the moment I can see us challenging for a top 3 spot. Over optimistic? Well the next two games are likely to bear this out or prove me probably wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Agreed but I just have this feeling that we are going to be really good this season which means we will need to get something from games like these. The way I feel at the moment I can see us challenging for a top 3 spot. Over optimistic? Well the next two games are likely to bear this out or prove me probably wrong.

Have confidence and a season cannot be defined over two games unless the play-offs

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Last seasons table after 7 games.....

It didn't define Wolves or Watfords season.

image.jpg

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
More interesting will be how many points we can get from the games this month. 3 tough away games and a home against Bolton will give us an idea of what we're made of. I honestly believe if we can hang on the coat tails of the playoffs then come the second half of the season with (hopefully) our injury list reduced and possible additions in Jan, we'll have a better second half of the season compared to the first half.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would hope to get a draw at both Reading and QPR but wont cut my throat if we dont. As I have said many times come the end of October we will be one of the major difficult teams to beat for every other team

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Exactly right. It's two matches against two of the favoured teams in this division (and no, I didn't think I'd be saying that about QPR when they got relegated last year), but they're not 'must win' games. We could easily lose both of them and still make the play-offs.

I take Icy's point that two heavy defeats might dent confidence all round, but even that shouldn't be terminal - although it might take a while to get it back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The game at Loftus Road will show how much Oscar has got to grips with the formation of our team and tactics because I believe that QPR have a better side with ex premiership players now than when they were in the Premiership and had that team been there most of last season they wouldnt have been relegated. IMHO they are virtually certain of automatic promotion.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think we won't really know until Liam, Andrea, Craig etc are all back fit (so probably around Christmas time). I reckon we'll be mid-table until then and really come on in the second half of the season-a la last year.
It's not how you start; it's how you finish.

Is organised caution the Oscar way? I wouldn't have thought so, but this next week is the time to find out.
Would be very happy with 6 points from the next 3 and more than satisfied with 4 from 3 tough games (yeah, ok, Bolton are second-bottom, but we shouldn't take them for granted.)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Perhaps after Christmas we will have a better idea. Three points from the next three away games would be good, anything over that would be a bonus. A fully fit squad will be the time to push on.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
A win today puts us just outside the play offs so in my opinion we absolutely need to win. A draw at QPR will be a great result. We cannot afford to lose the next 2 matches.. we will be flirting with a bottom 3 position otherwise and tgerefore confidence could suffer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The next 4 or 5 games are against mostly teams expected to do well so even 2 defeats wont look bad if we win the next 3 or 4 games. I think the team need to look at their performances and not the league table and positions for a few games.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Lose all three (we won't) and it would be very worrying, Seven games in you can't tell much about a whole season but you can start to define a squad and changes you may need to make to make a run after xmas.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lose all three (we won't) and it would be very worrying, Seven games in you can't tell much about a whole season but you can start to define a squad and changes you may need to make to make a run after xmas.

We are handily placed at the moment, lose the next three and we could be in the drop zone so I think it's important to get something from these games without getting a couple of tonkings. Yes of course we could recover from that position but the chances are that we will have a clue as to how our season is likely to pan out after the next two or three games, obviously just IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here