Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help on Dorothy Stringer directions

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My son is doing a tennis course tomorrow at Dorothy Stringer school. I know there are few ex-Stringerites here and I need some advice on getting there. The school address is Loder Road but there appears to be path from Stringer Way - which one is best for the gym? I assume that's where he's going

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
my son is doing a tennis course tomorrow at dorothy stringer school. I know there are few ex-stringerites here and i need some advice on getting there. The school address is loder road but there appears to be path from stringer way - which one is best for the gym? I assume that's where he's going

stringer_map.jpg

tb

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, I can use Google Maps too. But the map doesn't say which of the two entrances is the main one and which is the one that's closest to the gym

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The school entrance is on Loder Road, but a path called Stringer Way runs from Balfour Road to Draxmount Way which is a cul-de-sac off Surrenden Road. The latter is the one closest to the gym as it runs behind the school buildings whereas Loder Road requires a little walk and the entrance is gated there so not sure if access is readily available on weekends. That was the state of play in 2012 when I last worked there no idea if they've made any changes since.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
On a sidenote, being a Stringer attendee in the early 80's, from an Albion link the great Eric Steele lived in the aforementioned Draxmont Way at that time. Not relevant, just thought I'd mention it as it's a bit quiet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The school entrance is on Loder Road, but a path called Stringer Way runs from Balfour Road to Draxmount Way which is a cul-de-sac off Surrenden Road. The latter is the one closest to the gym as it runs behind the school buildings whereas Loder Road requires a little walk and the entrance is gated there so not sure if access is readily available on weekends. That was the state of play in 2012 when I last worked there no idea if they've made any changes since.

Thanks for this. Just to be sure I've got this right, the Loder Road one is the one that's most likely to be gated?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Thanks for this. Just to be sure I've got this right, the Loder Road one is the one that's most likely to be gated?

It might be, I'm not sure though as I never went near the place on a weekend. The safest bet would be to use the Draxmount Way entrance via Surrenden Road as the path to Balfour Road is a public access route and will be open. A small service road continues down to the area immediately behind the main school buildings where there is an area of staff parking**. Prior to that there is a turning heading south towards the school walk down that. You will then approach a circular structure which houses the library, there you will have two options, continue southwards through the playing fields towards the other entrance on Loder Road, or turn eastwards along a paved area between more school buildings which ends at the gym. You will want the latter. It is all pretty open and there will probably be others looking for the same place tomorrow.

(** If for some reason that service road is closed then park your car in Draxmount Way - there will be plenty of spaces unless something else is going on - walk down the path that runs next to Varndean School playing fields, which will take you to the same area described above)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My directions for Stringer would be to get into Mr Hickman's class being one of the brighter lights of your primary school and ignoring the brain power and piano playing skills of the other kids in there, most of whom seem your superior. Be there, play chess, join the Tolkein Society and go as Latin Mad as you can, being mostly unafraid and uncompetitive as hierarchies are for later life and only matter briefly. And stop eating so much junk food so the girls of your age don't find you unpleasantly sweaty and round.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
My directions for Stringer would be to get into Mr Hickman's class being one of the brighter lights of your primary school and ignoring the brain power and piano playing skills of the other kids in there, most of whom seem your superior. Be there, play chess, join the Tolkein Society and go as Latin Mad as you can, being mostly unafraid and uncompetitive as hierarchies are for later life and only matter briefly. And stop eating so much junk food so the girls of your age don't find you unpleasantly sweaty and round.

Interesting and eloquently put, I would guess your years of attendance mid 80's but one or two of your views do have a certain resonance.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The accuracy is astonishing. How old are you MB?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
The accuracy is astonishing. How old are you MB?

A grand old 38 now. Hickman's beard was pointy but mostly ungreyed, i think, whilst i was in the cliquey elitist "x-band" that he put together and sat us in alphabetical order. I remember his Tolkien tie and his miniature library and 2 years of partial terror that weren't mostly his fault for all his stern glances and minor verbal lashings for the most unruly and unproductive. A good class in RE in which some episode of Star Trek was watched, i recall.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A grand old 38 now. Hickman's beard was pointy but mostly ungreyed, i think, whilst i was in the cliquey elitist "x-band" that he put together and sat us in alphabetical order. I remember his Tolkien tie and his miniature library and 2 years of partial terror that weren't mostly his fault for all his stern glances and minor verbal lashings for the most unruly and unproductive. A good class in RE in which some episode of Star Trek was watched, i recall.

Who was the other RE teacher, with the Cheshire Cat smile?

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Enjoyed my Tennis and Chess with Mick Hickman, and whilst I learned my Latin with another Stringer stalwart, I feel sure that would have been an experience too! Never got involved with the Tolkein bit though.
Talked myself out of the odd 'slippering' or two, but certainly a teacher one never forgets even after all these years.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Scarily accurate.

Whatever happened to Piggy Watson by the way?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Scarily accurate.

Whatever happened to Piggy Watson by the way?

Oooh i don't know. I imagine he made cash from selling his perspiration to that near-Stringer chip shop.

I wonder how many of us have Mr Wooton's 70s comedic folk album from the navel-high pile of discs he had in his front room waiting for the next visit of a former student to sign and dish it out to.

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Mr Hickman taught me RE too, only recently retired I think. I have a reunion thing there on the day of the Bolton home game.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

Hickman had his pick of the elite kids. I ended up in the good but not quite good enough Mrs Goodwins 2H1 but did wipe the smile off their faces when scoring the winning goal in the inter-form hockey 1984 - a game Hickman's class with their superstars were expected to walk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here