Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re-inventing yourself

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been reading about "outsider house" music and specifically an artist called Huerco S who is the rather unexciting Brian Leeds in real-life. I've always been amused and impressed by such transformations; Stuart Price from Reading became Jaques Le Cont to good effect and a girl from Bolton called Janine moved to Berlin, stuck some plasticine on her face and became the rather cool PlanningToRock. And obviously there is that David Jones fella who became a Martian. I know Buzzer has a great story, and in some respects it's my favourite. I shall let him tell the tale though.

Any other good 'uns out there?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You mean like this ?
Kirk.jpgKirk 2.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Knowing my luck, I'd reinvent myself into someone else I don't like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My mate works in IT in London and has a colleague called Geoff. They provide level 3 IT support. By night bald, overweight Geoff becomes Cobalt Stargazer, one half of legendary 80s rockers Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Just been reading about "outsider house" music and specifically an artist called Huerco S who is the rather unexciting Brian Leeds in real-life. I've always been amused and impressed by such transformations; Stuart Price from Reading became Jaques Le Cont to good effect and a girl from Bolton called Janine moved to Berlin, stuck some plasticine on her face and became the rather cool PlanningToRock. And obviously there is that David Jones fella who became a Martian. I know Buzzer has a great story, and in some respects it's my favourite. I shall let him tell the tale though.

Any other good 'uns out there?

By the unnecessary response about some of your 1901 threads on NSC I would re-invent yourself as a North Stander !

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My mate works in IT in London and has a colleague called Geoff. They provide level 3 IT support. By night bald, overweight Geoff becomes Cobalt Stargazer, one half of legendary 80s rockers Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction.

Are they still going and is Mark Manning still involved? Know more about him for his work with Bill Drummond.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Are they still going and is Mark Manning still involved? Know more about him for his work with Bill Drummond.

Yes. Cobalt and Zodiac still do one-off gigs around London. They did one a few years back and Adam Ant turned up completely unannounced in the audience. As they started Prime Mover he got up on stage and joined in. Fair play, he knew all the words too. Bearing in mind this was around the time he'd been sectioned for carrying a gun or handgrenade (?) into a pub the band decided to let him carry on...just in case!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Yes. Cobalt and Zodiac still do one-off gigs around London. They did one a few years back and Adam Ant turned up completely unannounced in the audience. As they started Prime Mover he got up on stage and joined in. Fair play, he knew all the words too. Bearing in mind this was around the time he'd been sectioned for carrying a gun or handgrenade (?) into a pub the band decided to let him carry on...just in case!

Nice one. Remember well when Prime Mover came out. If you haven't read any of Drummond and Manning's books, worth doing so. Humour of the very darkest kind.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nice one. Remember well when Prime Mover came out. If you haven't read any of Drummond and Manning's books, worth doing so. Humour of the very darkest kind.

Drummond is a genius but definitely a master in the dark arts. I believe he is one of the few to be able to prove his appearance in the crowd at the Sex Pistols gig in Manchester too. I'm undecided if he actually likes music or whether it's a useful vehicle for him to weave his magic.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sub-Sub reinvented themselves as the Doves. That was pretty cool. Not so cool was what Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer did.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
In the early days of punk, in Cambridge, I knew a guy who worked in some boring office job - can't remember his real name, but he wore a suit to work. By night he was Nigel ****-Off, a hell-raising punk. When his employers found out, they sacked him. He became a bit of a cause celebre - front page of the local paper and everything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By the unnecessary response about some of your 1901 threads on NSC I would re-invent yourself as a North Stander !

Funny. I've done all that before at the Goldstone though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here