Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daddy's first school run

can't believe how many of my fat arsed neighbours can't manage the five minute walk to pick up thier little darling on what was a warm september day, the amount of 4x4,s driven by salad dodging mothers was increadable....little Jack had better get used to wind,sleet,rain, snow hail and pace.....it made a man of his daddy!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
can't believe how many of my fat arsed neighbours can't manage the five minute walk to pick up thier little darling on what was a warm september day, the amount of 4x4,s driven by salad dodging mothers was increadable....little Jack had better get used to wind,sleet,rain, snow hail and pace.....it made a man of his daddy!

Good for you for walking sir!
Some parents would drive in the school playground if they could.
Hope your son is enjoying school.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This is just the start,you will find that drive either a short distance to school or park as close to the entrance as possible will think of nothing 'in mowing your lad down' in an effort to get their darlings to school.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If the weather means one is able to walk without being killed and it's a walkable distance then people should. Gives a chance to spend some quality time together and teach them road safety, no?

Understandable if tied in on the journey to work.

Last edited:

These days, some young people reach the age of seventeen without ever having been a pedestrian on a busy street. The result is that they have NO experience of judging the speed of moving traffic. What happens next? They get a driving licence. How dangerous is that?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
My elementary school was a whopping 1.3 miles from home, and I made that trip on foot, alone, both ways -- except for a walking bus homewards for the first couple hundred yards -- for a year at the age of 6. Right through a New England winter -- snow, temps in the single digits Fahrenheit, etc. Early 1960's.

I mentioned this to my students recently and they reacted as if I had had a uniquely Dickensian upbringing.
Same reaction to stories of my taking the subway to high school.
I told them tales of taking girls out on actual dates using only public transport, and this was greeted with blank stares of incomprehension.
The fate of the blobs in orbit featured in Wall-e clearly await our youth.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
i'm not the moral police and i certainly don't "scream for a policeman" I just noticed today the speed of some drivers in close proximity to a school at chucking out time

By that i mean your lad along with his mates will be close to the school gates before some driver in an effort to get right by the gates will force those lads to take evasive action as they mount the pavement in an attempt to get close to the gates. You just watch.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
These days, some young people reach the age of seventeen without ever having been a pedestrian on a busy street. The result is that they have NO experience of judging the speed of moving traffic. What happens next? They get a driving licence. How dangerous is that?

That is very true. Good point L/B.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
In my final year at school I lived in Denton and went to school at Tideway. I walked it each day whatever the weather. I guess it's about 5 miles a day.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I know of a woman who drives her kid fully 400m to school. When asked she says it's not because of laziness it's for their safety.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
A bit off topic but when I served in Submarines we had to learn to cross a road safely again as we spent 3 months underwater and our peripheral vision was down to about 10 yards as you don't look further than this when at sea and they realised that submariners were not looking further than this when crossing roads when they first got back off Patrol and numerous personnel were getting knocked over by cars and buses !

I've walked all my three children to school but I don't feel the need to start a thread about it.

felt the need to reply though. anyway I'll put it back into context, my rant was a bit OTT but the crux of it was that I was nearly ran over by a silver 4x4 doing about 35 in a 20 zone near the school, i could see a child in the back with the relevent school bag, I don't think i'm a hero, I'll stick to posts discussing the Cliftonvillses fry up or whether any of us have been in a "loony bin" in future if you like

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here