Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHL Season 2013-14

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Unfortunately Walt this is a hallmark of Alain Vigneault coached teams. He tends to prefer small, soft and skilled players, though isn't adverse to utilizing a meathead goon in certain situations.

Even though I think that Coach Torts is a complete knob and his methods and tactics suspect, at least his teams played hard and competed. Vigneault's teams love to sucker other players into taking penalties through diving, cheating, etc, and win games on the power play. Vancouver came pretty close to a Stanley Cup in 2011 playing like this. Ugly to watch, it can be effective.

Personally I feel sorry for Ranger fans now as I don't think the vast majority of them are going to like the way he wants to play.

From what I have read on various US sports websites etc, Torts was very tough on his players almost every single day and you could see that to some extent with the way he at times struggled to get the best out of certain players on the Rangers' roster. I guess Gaborik would be an example. It seemed he didn't have a different approach for different players, rather a one size fits all disciplinarian style.

With Lundqvist in goal and a strong defensive roster of Girardi, Staa and McDonough as well as De Zotto they SHOULD have a good base from which to allow the likes of Nash and Richards to build on.

However, it seems to be much of Tortorella's relative success was built on strong forechecking and being tough in the corners, building pressure etc which has been abandoned. You can't change a style so drastically overnight.

Sather also needs to stop giving big contracts to players looking for a pay day to run down their careers on Broadway. Both Richards and Nash were signed past their peak.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
From what I have read on various US sports websites etc, Torts was very tough on his players almost every single day and you could see that to some extent with the way he at times struggled to get the best out of certain players on the Rangers' roster. I guess Gaborik would be an example. It seemed he didn't have a different approach for different players, rather a one size fits all disciplinarian style.

With Lundqvist in goal and a strong defensive roster of Girardi, Staa and McDonough as well as De Zotto they SHOULD have a good base from which to allow the likes of Nash and Richards to build on.

However, it seems to be much of Tortorella's relative success was built on strong forechecking and being tough in the corners, building pressure etc which has been abandoned. You can't change a style so drastically overnight.

Sather also needs to stop giving big contracts to players looking for a pay day to run down their careers on Broadway. Both Richards and Nash were signed past their peak.

Richards, obviously.

Nash, no way - would have him in the leafs team in a heartbeat.

You should watch the NHL documentary. I think torts coaching methods have to be seen to be believed. It's one of those things that's very effective to get people motivated at first. But has a detrimental effect on the team moral in the long term. Although gaborik is a lazy f****ker and not the best example. He is the nhl equivalent of Gary Lineker.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Richards, obviously.

Nash, no way - would have him in the leafs team in a heartbeat.

You should watch the NHL documentary. I think torts coaching methods have to be seen to be believed. It's one of those things that's very effective to get people motivated at first. But has a detrimental effect on the team moral in the long term. Although gaborik is a lazy f****ker and not the best example. He is the nhl equivalent of Gary Lineker.

The Leafs would take most half decent forwards in a heartbeat...

Richards actually looks to have started the season quite well amid the Rangers poor start. And yeah, joking aside, Nash is still quality. I watched the Winter Classic series when the Rangers were in it. Brilliant behind the scenes look at the clubs.

Great to see the Rangers pick up a win and a shut-out against Washington. Much-needed.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Break for the Olympics then.

How happy has everyone been with their teams?

Who are you backing at the Olympics?

think Canada will run away with it, but I want the Swedes and the Norwegians to cause an upset or 2

The Habs are doing well, which is good to see, also got a soft spot for Calgary this season and been watching a fair few games of theirs, who are doing horribly

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
think Canada will run away with it, but I want the Swedes and the Norwegians to cause an upset or 2

The Habs are doing well, which is good to see, also got a soft spot for Calgary this season and been watching a fair few games of theirs, who are doing horribly

Rangers fan, but like Montreal. Good to see them doing well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here