Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHL Season 2013-14

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not long until the NHL 2013-14 season starts. The Rangers have a pre-season game against the Devils on Monday and their first regular game is on October 3, cannot wait – getting bored with the baseball. What is interesting is how the KHL (Kontinental Hockey League) is growing. They have 28 teams in 8 nations from Central Europe to Asia. It seems to be coming closer to its goal of providing an alternative to the NHL. It is already luring some big names from the NHL like Ilya Kovalchuk.

To Vladivostok and beyond

Nod1986

Jul 15, 2009
Angmering
My team is the columbus blue jackets . Just missed out on the playoffs last season but I think they will make it this time .

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Eagles looking good already

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
1[SUP]st[/SUP] win for the Rangers, a satisfying 3-1 against the Kings. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] goal was a 170 foot fluke that deflected off the sideboards and then off the King’s goalie – but they all count. Nash looked more involved and determined than I’ve seen him for a while with two assists. Early days but hopefully Vigneault will make the difference this season.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Managed to catch the first three Rangers games on Premier Sports. Wish I hadn't seen the Sharks game. What a TERRIBLE result. 9v2.

Having said that, the lad Tomas Hertl looked a very exciting prospect. Was good to see him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Eagles looking very good this year....GIants having a mare

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Already stayed awake to watch 3 games this season, The Mighty Maple Leafs are 5 and 1 from 6, great start. The game against the Oilers on Saturday night was unbelieveable jeff, 5-4 down, equalised with 30 seconds in the 3rd and then got an OT winner. Bernier made save of the season when 5-4 down with 3 mins to go, try and google the highlights if you can just for that save!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Already stayed awake to watch 3 games this season, The Mighty Maple Leafs are 5 and 1 from 6, great start. The game against the Oilers on Saturday night was unbelieveable jeff, 5-4 down, equalised with 30 seconds in the 3rd and then got an OT winner. Bernier made save of the season when 5-4 down with 3 mins to go, try and google the highlights if you can just for that save!

Watched the Leafs vs Montreal. Some superb scrapping in that game.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So who do the great and good of NSC follow then?

NYR for me.

Soft spot for the Habs after seeing them play the Rangers in Montreal and really enjoying the atmosphere and city. Also one of my favourite players got traded to Montreal from NY.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

It was a great game. I don't agree about save of the season though. It was a good save no doubt at a critical time in the game. But If he got an anywhere near decent connection on the shot he would have scored. Coupled with the fact for the most part Bernier had a 'mare, having just come off a 38 save shut out. Reimer gets the call Tuesday night for my money.

Our top two lines are really taking shape. The only problem will be if we pick up injuries to key players. JVR, Lupul and Bolland are all critical components at the moment. Lupul will get injured at some stage he is so fragile. But we can't afford two of those three out for and extended period. Nor anything to befall Bernier as bar Saturday he has been exceptional.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
1[SUP]st[/SUP] win for the Rangers, a satisfying 3-1 against the Kings. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] goal was a 170 foot fluke that deflected off the sideboards and then off the King’s goalie – but they all count. Nash looked more involved and determined than I’ve seen him for a while with two assists. Early days but hopefully Vigneault will make the difference this season.

Not such a great start for the NYR. What's gone wrong? Btw I am not taking the pee, I can only just about keep up with watching the leafs games.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
nhl_calgary.gif

Always like to see Boston do well. They were the team that I followed prior to the Flames moving to Calgary from Atlanta.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Penguins were always my team but i now have a soft spot for the Canucks following a trip to Vancouver!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not such a great start for the NYR. What's gone wrong? Btw I am not taking the pee, I can only just about keep up with watching the leafs games.

No, I agree it hasn’t been the best start. Sloppy play and injuries all contributed to 3 consecutive losses at the end of their season opening trip. I think their next 3 games on the east coast should go better than the first 5 out west. Will be interesting to see what happens with Canucks / Rangers as Tortorella and Vigneault just swopped places.

Rangers might also find themselves competing with the Islanders when they move to Brooklyn as early as next year, which will open them up to a bigger audience than at present.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Look to have a lack of toughness in the three games I have watched.

Unfortunately Walt this is a hallmark of Alain Vigneault coached teams. He tends to prefer small, soft and skilled players, though isn't adverse to utilizing a meathead goon in certain situations.

Even though I think that Coach Torts is a complete knob and his methods and tactics suspect, at least his teams played hard and competed. Vigneault's teams love to sucker other players into taking penalties through diving, cheating, etc, and win games on the power play. Vancouver came pretty close to a Stanley Cup in 2011 playing like this. Ugly to watch, it can be effective.

Personally I feel sorry for Ranger fans now as I don't think the vast majority of them are going to like the way he wants to play.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here