Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio Five Live breakfast show...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is it just me, or do they spend ALL of their time discussing stories that either involve child abuse, rape, same sex relationships or women's rights?

This morning it was Michael Le Vell's court case, Michael Gove on child abuse in care homes, the rape of women in India? But this is a standard morning, it always seems to be like this. I feel as though I'm going through some sort of PC brainwashing procedure.

Can anyone recommend a decent radio station that doesn't dumb down or preach, that just does the news properly and keeps things light? I like the BBC but I've had enough.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Keep it light. Mince pie, anyone?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I listen to the Today programme on Radio 4.

Five Live first thing in the morning is for people with short attention spans.

It certainly has become that way. And I'm not sure what that says about talkSPORT, which is far worse...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I listen to the Today programme on Radio 4.

Five Live first thing in the morning is for people with short attention spans.

But even the Today programme is not what it was, I'm sad to say. The Beeb is becoming less independent with every day. The Today programme is better than the Five Live equivalent, but that really is not saying much at all. R4 still has some good documentary and comedy content but it's news output is way below par imo.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just out of interest, is there anything out there that is BETTER than what it was or used to be? Heading towards old codger territory I am really struggling, but maybe we should devote a thread of celebration for any that people can think of.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just out of interest, is there anything out there that is BETTER than what it was or used to be? Heading towards old codger territory I am really struggling, but maybe we should devote a thread of celebration for any that people can think of.

If you're talking radio alone, I prefer the diversity and choice of more radio stations.

No stations are perfect, but the wider choice means there is a greater chance of finding something you want to listen to. And I do include the bias towards our local community station in that.

If you're talking exact like-for-like institutions of 'then' compared to 'now' ... um, hang on, I'll get back to you on that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here