Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK's new name if Scotland breakaway?

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
If Scotland do secede from the UK, I assume we will have to change our country's name from "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Great Britain refers to the mainland island so would we end up just being called "United Kingdom", or "United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland"?

???

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Can we not just do away with the whole thing?

I am fed up of putting UK or Britain/British on forms.

I am English and from England

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I should imagine it would quickly fall apart, seeing the people of Northern Ireland are Ulster Scots anyway. Maybe some sort of Union with Wales, similar to the one Serbia tried with Montenegro for a few years.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Scots will vote by a large margin to stay part of the uk.
England needs a referendum on breaking away from Scotland , Wales and Ulster.

This.

I should imagine it would quickly fall apart, seeing the people of Northern Ireland are Ulster Scots anyway. Maybe some sort of Union with Wales, similar to the one Serbia tried with Montenegro for a few years.

I'm not so sure - Norn Ireland would never cede from the union without someone else to join with (presumably either the Republic or Scotland) as they currently rely on a massive subsidy from the UK government.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

You reckon?

Genuine question, I haven't paid much attention so far, thus I don't know what the likely outcome is.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My Scottish source is also confident that the vote will be a massive NO to independence.

His view is that many of those who vote SNP do so because they simply prefer that party's policies in the current devolved Parliament. But Salmond is kidding himself if he thinks that all those who vote SNP also support independence.

(Not my view - the view of a Scotsman, living in Scotland.)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Might that not depend on where the Scots are from in Scotland or if they support Rangers ?

These ones actually support Celtic.

Having spoken ti them when this cropped up a few months back they reckon that when it comes down to a vote it wont even be close.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
What impact will it have on Salmond's political career if the bagpipe-botherers vote overwhelmingly to stay part of the Union, one wonders?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How about something like Lasersexland?

Foreign birds would definitely go moist if you say you come from Lasersexland.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Might that not depend on where the Scots are from in Scotland or if they support Rangers ?

I have a lot of Scottish clients and yet to meet one who is in favour of independence. The SNP's only hope is by lowering the voting age to 16 they will benefit from the rebellious teenager vote (but let's be honest most wont bother getting out of bed)

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Glad to see many others on this thread share my view. I'm pro English independence. Third world countries like Scotland, Wales, the Six Counties, Gibraltar, the Falklands etc cost us a fortune in subsidies and upkeep. If England declared independence from them, it would instantly reduce the tax payer burden enough to pull us out of recession and start building a world class economy, something we will never have while we carry the likes of the aforementioned parasites around on our backs. It's about time England had a referendum on withdrawing from the UK.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My Scottish source is also confident that the vote will be a massive NO to independence.

His view is that many of those who vote SNP do so because they simply prefer that party's policies in the current devolved Parliament. But Salmond is kidding himself if he thinks that all those who vote SNP also support independence.

(Not my view - the view of a Scotsman, living in Scotland.)

The vote for independence is about 30 years too late with the revenues from North Sea oil and gas dwindling away as the reserves are becoming depleted. Leaving the UK would also mean Scotland having to apply for membership of the EU.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have a lot of Scottish clients and yet to meet one who is in favour of independence. The SNP's only hope is by lowering the voting age to 16 they will benefit from the rebellious teenager vote (but let's be honest most wont bother getting out of bed)

No need for the 16-18 year olds getting out of bed if voting via Facebook is introduced in the meantime :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here