Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should single faith schools be privately funded?

This is a subject which has been playing on my mind for many years. I know that others will have their own ideas which I would like to hear, so it's over to you, good people of NSC land. In other words I'm calling for a mass debate on the subject.

In the context of a country with what is in effect a state religion, no I don't think it's credible. The Queen is the Supreme Governor of the C of E, making it the de facto state religion, which means that C of E schools are likely to (for the foreseeable future at least) receive state funding. Given that, it's only fair that schools affiliated with other religions also receive state funding. Personally I think @stripeyshark's idea of only funding Christian schools is the worst of all options.

Having said all that, in an ideal world, where we didn't have a state religion, yes I would prefer to have them all solely privately funded.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, if you want to select pupils based upon religious beliefs than you should not qualify for state funding IMO.

Although while we are at it, lets remove charity status from Private Education.

Charity status is there to provide funding for pupils who the school would readily accept, but who come from families that can't otherwise afford that school's fees.

At least, that's what the charitable arm of a private or independent school is supposed to do.

Oct 25, 2003
The vast majority of Christians that I know didn't go to faith schools.....and it seems like most kids at faith schools are of no faith (just my observation)

Not sure I really see the point?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Schools shouldn't be linked to a specific religion full stop. It annoys me a lot that my two sons have to have a daily assembly with prayers and hymns. Teach RE by all means - i.e. tell them what each religion is about - but schools are for teaching not brain washing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I put this to you all:

Either

A) Faith schools have absolutely no entrance criteria whatsoever, no requirement to attend church, have exactly the same entrance requirements as any other school and they can continue to receive public funding.

or

B) They become private institutions.

It really is as simple as that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Charity status is there to provide funding for pupils who the school would readily accept, but who come from families that can't otherwise afford that school's fees.

At least, that's what the charitable arm of a private or independent school is supposed to do.

Agreed - it's a shame they don't use it for that. Instead they use it as a way of cutting their costs.

My partner worked for a Christian private school and she arranged a meeting with parents to discuss setting up scholarships for children that couldn't afford the fees. She was disgusted that virtually every parents view was "if they can't afford it then why should I pay for them" !

My children go to private school but even I think the charitable status of these schools should be removed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do not have an issue with single faith vs multiple faith or state vs private to be honest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Schools shouldn't be linked to a specific religion full stop. It annoys me a lot that my two sons have to have a daily assembly with prayers and hymns. Teach RE by all means - i.e. tell them what each religion is about - but schools are for teaching not brain washing.
That's a difficult point to argue with.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I assume the parents of the children in those schools pay taxes. With that in mind they should be entitled to some of the funds going to their childs school.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton

Couldn't agree more. If people want religion they should go to a church or whatever. "Faith schools" or whatever they choose to call themselves should be self-funded.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I assume the parents of the children in those schools pay taxes. With that in mind they should be entitled to some of the funds going to their childs school.

I disagree. If people choose to opt out of the state system, that is their choice. Why should I, as a taxpayer, subsidise the education of those who shun the state system.

I guess it won't be long before someone says that the state system would collapse if all the private schools closed, but that is a different argument.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
for a state school to select on grounds of religion is wrong imo.the best comp in my local area reserves half its annual intake based on religion.this denies a lot of places to local kids who would benefit from attending one of the best schools in the area.most of the parents of these children are tax payers and yet are discriminated against by the state.state schools should be secular in outlook,if parents want a particular religion to be prevalent then they should pay for the privilege.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here