Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is a postal strike really going to work?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I read there may be a Royal Mail strike over privatisation.

I have to say as a supposed lefty I find the idea completely pointless. In fact I'd even welcome a strike. I get my important info via email, my packages delivered by courier and do my banking online. The only mail I get delivered these days is junk mail that goes straight in recycling.

Perhaps the only change for me would be doing party invites & thank yous for my kids on Facebook for a while.

So would a strike really affect you? How relevant is the Royal Mail these days?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It'll work as well as the last one and the one before that...

...so no it won't work.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I read there may be a Royal Mail strike over privatisation.

I have to say as a supposed lefty I find the idea completely pointless. In fact I'd even welcome a strike. I get my important info via email, my packages delivered by courier and do my banking online. The only mail I get delivered these days is junk mail that goes straight in recycling.

Perhaps the only change for me would be doing party invites & thank yous for my kids on Facebook for a while.

So would a strike really affect you? How relevant is the Royal Mail these days?

Bit of an "I'm alright Jack" attitude for a supposed lefty.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
I think the law doesn't allow a strike when privatisation is used as the reason, the ballot is about pay, pension and conditions as the present terms have ended and what has been offered is deamed to be unacceptable by the union.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bit of an "I'm alright Jack" attitude for a supposed lefty.

A strike will only work if it causes more inconvenience to the public at large. This will make my life better.

I think the law doesn't allow a strike when privatisation is used as the reason, the ballot is about pay, pension and conditions as the present terms have ended and what has been offered is deamed to be unacceptable by the union.

Technically true but make your own mind up http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/sep/12/royal-mail-strikes-privatisation

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I was Royal Mail, I'd stop Saturday delivery.

RM haven't employed a full time 39 hour a week member of staff for 8 years.
The redundancies could be carried by cancelling short term contracts.

It's a simple fact for 48 weeks a year we do at most 5 days work over 6 days.

USPS have done this and saved billions of dollars.
While increasing packet deliveries across the entire weekend inc Sundays.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I haven't had a second post for years. I honestly didn't know they still did that.

They don't , the overheads were substantially reduced yet we still paid same prices ?? obviously the government were making the profits look good for privatisation ! Also why would you sell off a profit making business for the government ? obviously it is for short term financial reasons , not thinking long term , sure the top tory MP's have already invested in the new mail company and they must have someone lined up because they are passing it through so quick. Unless someone can tell me different ?

Anyone remember the 1971 postal strike? It lasted seven weeks. The Union's pay claim was for a 15-20 per cent pay increase. The employers offered 8 per cent. Eventually the strike collapsed and 9 per cent was agreed by the Post Office.

The strike coincided with the introduction of decimal currency and an increase of 44 per cent in the price of a first class stamp.

What i remember about it was being stuck in Italy without any communication from home for two months. Nobody died. Or, if they did, I never got to hear about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You lot realise the strike will be over privatisation and turning down a 9% pay rise over 3 years.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The strike will achieve diddly squat. That said, if anyone is in support of the privatisation they should go and watch the Dispatches programme on private mail companies on 4OD to see why Royal Mail should stay as it is !

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
They don't , the overheads were substantially reduced yet we still paid same prices ?? obviously the government were making the profits look good for privatisation ! Also why would you sell off a profit making business for the government ? obviously it is for short term financial reasons , not thinking long term , sure the top tory MP's have already invested in the new mail company and they must have someone lined up because they are passing it through so quick. Unless someone can tell me different ?

Simple answer - Pension.

I understand there is a massive pension liability within the Post Office. It is a black hole that will be impossible to fill under current terms and conditions. This will make it someone else's problem.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Realistically, all I'll notice is a drop in the number of Domino's Pizza leaflets & discount vouchers for the local garden centre, so, every cloud...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Simple answer - Pension.

I understand there is a massive pension liability within the Post Office. It is a black hole that will be impossible to fill under current terms and conditions. This will make it someone else's problem.

Bingo. The pension deficit has been unaffordable and growing for about 8 years. A real poisoned chalice for new shareholders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here