cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
it was in New road Brighton
anyone remember it ?????

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, it closed in 1957 - I'm an old git and I don't remember it at all.

I'm more intrigued by the People's Picture Palace, which is now the Labour Club on Lewes Road, I find it really hard to imagine a cinema there. And why was it known as The Scratch?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Because it was a flea-pit ?

once and that was enough
Rothbury in Portslade was nearly as bad, Continental, in Kemp town had wooden seats
the Paris was quite plush from what I remember

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Continental, in Kemp town had wooden seats

As a young lad, I never failed to check the adverts in the Argus for what was showing at the Continental. My mind was boggling....

Incidentally, my brother did a school project on old Brighton cinemas. I remember he was particularly keen on the Kinema? Might be before anyone's time...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have just looked at the list of all cinema's in the Brighton area and there are dozens I had never heard of
but then it was the birthplace of moving pictures so only right really

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have just looked at the list of all cinema's in the Brighton area and there are dozens I had never heard of
but then it was the birthplace of moving pictures so only right really

Pedant alert ! St Anne's well gardens, Hove to be precise

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I remember going to The Gaiety on saturday mornings where the gyratory in Lewes Road is now. Remember it being quite rowdy in there.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I remember going to The Gaiety on saturday mornings where the gyratory in Lewes Road is now. Remember it being quite rowdy in there.

depends on when it was we used to go there quite a lot for Saturday morning pictures, we only got rowdy when Tarzan escaped the huge rock/log croc/elephant after being crushed to death the week before

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here