Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

players who underperformed/underachieved at international level?

Oct 25, 2003
following on from my critically acclaimed "players who were better at international level than club level?" thread (link below), I thought I'd go the opposite...how about players who were amazing at club level, but never lived up to the hype at international level...or were never given the chance

a good example is Andy/Andrew Cole who is probably one of the best strikers in Premier League history....yet only played 15 games for England, scoring 1 goal

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...better-at-international-level-than-club-level

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
John Barnes
Steven Gerrard
Ray Wilkins
Frank Lampard

in all fairness, I don't think Cole ever got a decent run in the England team because of Shearer and Sheringham being around...Ian Wright (tosser) was the same.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lionel-Messi.jpg

Oct 25, 2003
I was under the impression that Alan Hansen was one of the best centre backs around at the time....he apparently only played 26 games for Scotland?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not a single player, but the Lampard & Gerrard partnership. In theory should have been among the best central midfield partnership in the world..... but wasn't.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash.

I agree that Gerrard and Lampard have under achieved in terms of how good they are, but they have been excellent in recent games (Tuesday night aside for Frank). They seem to have belatedly worked out how to properly play together.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Glenn Hoddle. 53 caps for England.

Would have played more in many other top nations.

Same for Le Tissier.

Mcmanaman only have 37 England caps. He played for bloody REAL MADRID.

We don't appreciate flair and genuine wingers.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Same for Le Tissier.

Mcmananaman only have 37 England caps. He played for bloody REAL MADRID.

I was going to say Le Tissier, but he hardly played for England at all..

Oct 25, 2003

Same for Le Tissier.

Mcmananaman only have 37 England caps. He played for bloody REAL MADRID.

English tactics for flair players....put them at left midfield and hope for the best

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
In all fairness, NONE of the big big superstar players of recent year have had a huge impact on the international stage. The only couple I can think of that have are Zidane and Beckham.

Spain have some amazing players, but none what you would call astronomical...Instead it's been their more steady players who've made the impact...Players like Iniesta, Puyol, Xavi.

Those mega stars like Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Persie have all but disappointed at major tournaments. It was the same with Ronaldinho aswell.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
In all fairness, NONE of the big big superstar players of recent year have had a huge impact on the international stage. The only couple I can think of that have are Zidane and Beckham.

Spain have some amazing players, but none what you would call astronomical...Instead it's been their more steady players who've made the impact...Players like Iniesta, Puyol, Xavi.

Those mega stars like Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Persie have all but disappointed at major tournaments. It was the same with Ronaldinho aswell.
Ronaldo for Brazil in 02 World cup was pretty special and lived up to the hype.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I agree that Gerrard and Lampard have under achieved in terms of how good they are, but they have been excellent in recent games (Tuesday night aside for Frank). They seem to have belatedly worked out how to properly play together.

Last time I suggested Graeme Hick in answer to this question on here, I got slated !

To be fair to Gerrard - he was played out of position for England for several years, just to get him in the same side as Lampard - can't blame him totally for not playing to his club level.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

thats because gerrard now plays deeper like he does for liverpool - before both him and lamps used to play as the attacking focal point of the midfield for their clubs, unfortunately you can't really have 2 together as it unbalances the midfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here