Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

summer fruits!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Not just me then. I normally get loads in my garden, but bugger all this year.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Loads and loads of blackberries just from the garden. Strawberries were a disaster but that might be because the plants were more than 3 years old. Thankfully I've managed to propagate new plants for next year.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Blackberries - fantastic crop
Apples - unbelievable bumper crop this year
Plums - better than the last two years, but not brilliant

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tomatoes and cucumber very good. Blackberries were bumper this year, Gooseberries appeared but were crap so let them go to seed. Strawberries died while I was away.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think why fruit that naturally flowers early will have been badly affected by the extension of the winter well into spring this year.

For example sloes appear to have been badly hit with very little fruit this year, the same with the cherry plum trees around Worthing. I guess, as gooseberries are an early fruit, they may have also been adversely affected.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
My nan always used to call gooseberries "goosegogs". I found out recently that "Gogs" is the word for berries in an old Sussex dialect. Does anyone else say "Gogs" instead of "Berries"?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My nan always used to call gooseberries "goosegogs". I found out recently that "Gogs" is the word for berries in an old Sussex dialect. Does anyone else say "Gogs" instead of "Berries"?

I still call them Goosegogs. I sometimes refer to our home grown raspberries as Raspgogs. True Story.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Strawberries were MENTAL earlier in the year.
Blackberries very good, but they're unstoppable anyway.
Gooseberries TERRIBLE.
Rasberries average, but I reckon my heavy-handed pruning & lack of staking was to blame.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Down West here we had great strawberries this year and blackberries but sloes and damsons are no where to be seen again this year !
Apple tree is packed because last year we had nothing
All down to a bad spring

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I had seven goosegogs and they didn't taste too good. Really heavy crop of black and red currants but the goji didn't produce at all

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Yep my Nan called them this, She's from Weymouth. west country saying too.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Only trees I have are apples and plums and both have a fantastic crop.

The apples (10 postal sack) all went to Whiteheads Cider Company and the plums are going to a local jam maker with the balance going into home made vodka.

Shloes are looking great too.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cherries were good
Strawberries were disappointing
Raspberries are just fruiting now and look hopeful for a good crop

Some b*****d cut my blackberry down, so it's only just recovering and no fruit this year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here