Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phonebloks - the ultimate mobile phone?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some of you may have seen this flitting across Facebook/blog sites. I think it's probably unworkable, but an absolutely brilliant idea.

Watch.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Hello phonebloks ?

Hi I just upgraded my camera on my phone and it isn't working as expected...

Yes, yes I spoke to the camera supplier and they said they have tested it with the revision D base, but not with the revision B base that I have, so it must be your problem.

Hello phonebloks ?????

Great presentation, but my advice keep hold of your wallet, your mobile phone won't last forever.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In an ideal world, a top idea. In the world we live in? Unworkable. No phone manafacturer is going to support this. A lifetime of upgrading, buying new blocks, sourcing what you need for the best price? No thanks, I'll stick to the new Iphone I get every 2 years thanks. Plus Youtube has a million tutorials on it to replace parts on normal phones.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i like it. i reckon theres several catches though, firstly people simply like a change, though colour or shape redesigns might cover that. bigger issue is probably around the components fitting in to the bloks, with interfaces and unit costs a problem. say a Wifi module, its probably got a dozen or two pin outs to the main CPU, not two or four like the presentation. then the cost of production and shipping for each chip blok to a retailer is going to be more expensive then the current ship 1m units to Foxconn/Samsung/HTC etc. Also, currently an awful lot of profit margins are are made from (over) charging for upgraded spec, a certain fruit charges twice as much as the cost to go 16GB-32GB.

on the other hand i can see a limited modular phone working very well, say upgrading the camera, display or battery, with nice fat margins near enough the same as selling you a new one. if you think how a certain fruit sells its upgrades, it more or less doing this already.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
bigger issue is probably around the components fitting in to the bloks, with interfaces and unit costs a problem. say a Wifi module, its probably got a dozen or two pin outs to the main CPU, not two or four like the presentation.

Not necessarily true - you can get wifi adapters that attach by USB which only have 4 connectors. Ditto many, many other peripherals. So long as the larger components have enough connectors to the main logic board then I can't see a problem as most will be just fine on 4.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not necessarily true - you can get wifi adapters that attach by USB which only have 4 connectors. Ditto many, many other peripherals. So long as the larger components have enough connectors to the main logic board then I can't see a problem as most will be just fine on 4.

Hardware interfaces are one thing, software is quite another. You could be waiting for someone to write the open source driver, which you then compile, test and hope it works.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
the UK Mobile Phone industry's biggest up and coming market is the 12 to 26 year olds who will not buy this because of the design and the fact that it looks like just a mobile phone.

parents also wouldn't buy this for their kids because the parts WILL get lost.

The only market I can see this appealing to is the male "geek" market who would be able to afford to replace the parts of the phone they want to.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, thinking about it more, it's a pretty shonky idea presented as a way to cut back on electronic waste. So many people with these wafty ideas alwyas look for a green angle as a way to secure funding. On closer inspection this idea just doesn't hold water and it looks crap.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
The idea is years old!

Attachments

• working-lego-phone.jpg
    working-lego-phone.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 106

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
On closer inspection this idea just doesn't hold water.

I'm sure someone could design a component that does hold water...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
In an ideal world, a top idea. In the world we live in? Unworkable. No phone manafacturer is going to support this. A lifetime of upgrading, buying new blocks, sourcing what you need for the best price? No thanks, I'll stick to the new Iphone I get every 2 years thanks. Plus Youtube has a million tutorials on it to replace parts on normal phones.

It looks like the idea might have legs after all.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/385036/motorolas-project-ara-creating-customisable-smartphones

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope it becomes workable, it's a great idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here