Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA warns Spurs of Yid Chant

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
What an absolute joke these new guidelines are becoming.

As if they're going to stop thousands of Spurs fans shouting their "badge of honour" chant as the FA have described it.

:facepalm:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's a joke. Spurs have taken something that was a negative and turned it on it's head and into a positive. A bit like how African Americans have reclaimed the N word for themselves.

Apart from David Baddiel is anyone actually offended by it?

What an absolute joke these new guidelines are becoming.

As if they're going to stop thousands of Spurs fans shouting their "badge of honour" chant as the FA have described it.

:facepalm:

Tottenham fans aren't predominantly Jewish any more, so the fans have no real right to use it positivity or negatively.

"Badge of honour" that assumes that one takes a negative and turns it into a positive, So being Jewish is a negative? Or is it the other fans that are anti-Semitic? If that's the case no one should use the word, surely?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I take it gillingham are not allowed to call themselves pikey army now?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
It's a joke. Spurs have taken something that was a negative and turned it on it's head and into a positive. A bit like how African Americans have reclaimed the N word for themselves.

Apart from David Baddiel is anyone actually offended by it?

How often do you hear Americans chanting "come on you n******".
Doesn't happen, so neither should this.
They have to take an all or nothing stance.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Tottenham fans aren't predominantly Jewish any more, so the fans have no real right to use it positivity or negatively.

"Badge of honour" that assumes that one takes a negative and turns it into a positive, So being Jewish is a negative? Or is it the other fans that are anti-Semitic? If that's the case no one should use the word, surely?

What about the Jewish spurs fans, banning the use of the word is surely infringing their freedom to chant the word as and when they like.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I don't get it either.

Yiddish is the correct term for the Jewish European language ...The term "yid" is described in Wiki as being not necessarily offensive, unless used in an anti semitic manner.

There is too much P C thinking around these days. It all depends on the context . When I was a kid I could have a golliwog, watch the cowboys shoot the Indians (Native Americans) etc. A relative even had a black labrador named what I can only write as "the N word", it was not meant to be racist, just the word everybody used for black (coloured?) people . However, as Steinbeck wrote in "The Grapes of Wrath" when they were called "Okies" it was not the word but the way they said it that made it offensive.

If I were a Spurs fan and called myself one of the Yid army, it is clear that no anti Jewish sentiment is being expressed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
How often do you hear Americans chanting "come on you n******".
Doesn't happen, so neither should this.

Of course it does. Maybe not that exact phrase but they refer to one an other as ****** all the time. They certainly do in the films/tv/podcasts I watch and listen to. Watch any of Chris Rock's standup and see how many times he uses the word.

They have to take an all or nothing stance.

Well nothing then.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I don't get it either.

Yiddish is the correct term for the Jewish European language ...The term "yid" is described in Wiki as being not necessarily offensive, unless used in an anti semitic manner.

There is too much P C thinking around these days. It all depends on the context . When I was a kid I could have a golliwog, watch the cowboys shoot the Indians (Native Americans) etc. A relative even had a black labrador named what I can only write as "the N word", it was not meant to be racist, just the word everybody used for black (coloured?) people . However, as Steinbeck wrote in "The Grapes of Wrath" when they were called "Okies" it was not the word but the way they said it that made it offensive.

If I were a Spurs fan and called myself one of the Yid army, it is clear that no anti Jewish sentiment is being expressed.

Too much PC thinking? really? Having a dog called N***** and not knowing whether to type black or coloured. It is exactly for these reasons that this PC thinking has come about. I'm really not sure there has ever been a time when its was truly acceptable to call a black dog n*****!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm really not sure there has ever been a time when its was truly acceptable to call a black dog n*****!!!

Clearly there was because they were happy to use the real name for Guy Gibson' dog in the Dambusters film. I'm not saying it's right but it was acceptable back then.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Of course it does. Maybe not that exact phrase but they refer to one an other as ****** all the time. They certainly do in the films/tv/podcasts I watch and listen to. Watch any of Chris Rock's standup and see how many times he uses the word.

Rubbish. This is in a sporting context I am talking about. What percentage of Spurs fans at the games are Jewish? 10% for arguments sake. Therefore 90% aren't jewish but are using 'the word' . So my point was do you hear the 90% white NFL audience shouting out to the (80% black) players come on you n******? NO is the answer

The main point is the the majority of people who use it aren't Jewish and actually have no idea what it means or represents.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You are an idiot if you actually think this.

Well I'm glad we've cleared that up then!

Are the 10% offended by the 90%? I honestly don't know, my guess is probably not else they would have piped up yonks ago.

The only person I've ever known of to be offended by it is Baddiel and he is a "Chelsea" fan.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Rubbish. This is in a sporting context I am talking about. What percentage of Spurs fans at the games are Jewish? 10% for arguments sake. Therefore 90% aren't jewish but are using 'the word' . So my point was do you hear the 90% white NFL audience shouting out to the (80% black) players come on you n******? NO is the answer

The main point is the the majority of people who use it aren't Jewish and actually have no idea what it means or represents.

I'm assuming you agree that we should not be allowed to call Palace fans pikeys or similar ever again?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Well I'm glad we've cleared that up then!

Are the 10% offended by the 90%? I honestly don't know, my guess is probably not else they would have piped up yonks ago.

The only person I've ever known of to be offended by it is Baddiel and he is a "Chelsea" fan.

i think you are all missing the point anyway. If you watch the video it shows the away fans clearly using the term in a derogatory way. To be able to stop the away fans using it they also have to stop the home fans.

Like I say, all or nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here