Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bees

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe they do. Maybe they're the suicide bombers of the insect world?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Dunno about that but I have just had the biggest and loudest bee I have ever seen enter my flat! It was about and inch and a half long and had black spider legs. Enormous bloody thing.

Obviously I ran around like a girl and hid in the kitchen!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Actually, I think I came across a fuzzy Bumbler that did know the consequences a few years ago. I accidentally put my hand on a Bee whilst lounging on a friend's lawn & I felt the simultaneous fuzz & sting on my mitt. I expected to see a half-Bee & sting in my hand, but the clever lil' thing had decided to stay attached to it's thorney bit. I then very carefully managed to grip the creature & it's sting at the same time; dislodged it from my palm & popped it onto the grass. Remarkably, it bumbled off on its merry way a couple of seconds later & all was right with the world once more. Lovely stuff. :)

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Actually, I think I came across a fuzzy Bumbler that did know the consequences a few years ago. I accidentally put my hand on a Bee whilst lounging on a friend's lawn & I felt the simultaneous fuzz & sting on my mitt. I expected to see a half-Bee & sting in my hand, but the clever lil' thing had decided to stay attached to it's thorney bit. I then very carefully managed to grip the creature & it's sting at the same time; dislodged it from my palm & popped it onto the grass. Remarkably, it bumbled off on its merry way a couple of seconds later & all was right with the world once more. Lovely stuff. :)

Slow day at work???

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There are about 37 varieties of bee in the UK and to my knowledge only 1 of them die when they sting and even that is a partial truth. The worker honey bee has a barbed sting which can break of in the thick skin of some mammals, taking half the bee's abdomen with it. Mostly it can retract and fly off happily. All other species of bee have smooth, straight stings which can pull out easily causing no harm to the bee.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
There are about 37 varieties of bee in the UK and to my knowledge only 1 of them die when they sting and even that is a partial truth. The worker honey bee has a barbed sting which can break of in the thick skin of some mammals, taking half the bee's abdomen with it. Mostly it can retract and fly off happily. All other species of bee have smooth, straight stings which can pull out easily causing no harm to the bee.

That's my story knackered then. Cheers Nibs. :down:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We get tunneling bees over here, never seem to hurt any thing but make holes in the steeper parts of the lawn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here