Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paulo Di Canio

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Played in Steve Harper's testimonial last night. And scored a penalty in the shoot out. Fair play to him. Got a great reception.

http://youtu.be/Mfvp40MHvvs

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You would have thought the ref could have found a reason to let him re-take the penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuKQ8Y3qx5s

Didn't Harper make about 10% of his total career first team appearances with us?

He only made 5 appearances for us. Could have been first choice if he'd moved somewhere else but very loyal to Newcastle and wanted to stay in the area so didn't play anywhere near the number of games he could have.

I am pretty certain he is the only player to have played in all 4 leagues, the conference, champions league and uefa cup.

Conference - Gateshead
League 2 - Hartlepool
League 1 - Bradford
Championship - Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield
Premier - Newcastle
Uefa/Europa - Newcastle
Champions League - Newcastle

Oct 25, 2003
I am pretty certain he is the only player to have played in all 4 leagues, the conference, champions league and uefa cup.

Conference - Gateshead
League 2 - Hartlepool
League 1 - Bradford
Championship - Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield
Premier - Newcastle
Uefa/Europa - Newcastle
Champions League - Newcastle

steve finnan has definitely done that...and the world cup

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Could have been first choice if he'd moved somewhere else but very loyal to Newcastle and wanted to stay in the area so didn't play anywhere near the number of games he could have.

You mean a typical, unambitious, backward Geordie who thinks the entire world revolves around Newcastle. What an absolute waste of the talent he was born with.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You mean a typical, unambitious, backward Geordie who thinks the entire world revolves around Newcastle. What an absolute waste of the talent he was born with.

have to remember that post when someone moans about Bridcutt or Ulloa showing no loyalty and leaving for a big payday and pastures new

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
have to remember that post when someone moans about Bridcutt or Ulloa showing no loyalty and leaving for a big payday and pastures new

That's not really comparable at ALL, is it?

1. Neither of those two players have declined to leave their home town. One is on a different CONTINENT.

2. Neither of them is turning down moves, to happily trouser a substantial wage to NOT play.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Er, Bridcutt and Ulloa are playing games.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith

Nice use of one man's football career as sole justification for a sweeping, baseless condemnation of an entire region. Top work there.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nice use of one man's football career as sole justification for a sweeping, baseless condemnation of an entire region. Top work there.

Thanks. You do have a point of course, but I wouldn't say it was 'baseless'. Would you?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

:lolol: This is my nomination for the 2013/14 NSC awards in the category of worst "worst comparative example"

Last edited:

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Thanks. You do have a point of course, but I wouldn't say it was 'baseless'. Would you?

Having lived there for half my life, I'd say it was harsh. There's an obvious sense of local identity and pride, which to the outsider can make the place and its people look insular - an image which is cheerfully and lazily peddled by the national media (endless patronising comments from football commentators about the "proud Geordie nation", and let's not forget Geordie Shore, much as I'd like to). But that doesn't reflect my experience of the city or the (very) large majority of its people.

No, I think you must be getting it mixed up with Sunderland :smile:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Having lived there for half my life, I'd say it was harsh. There's an obvious sense of local identity and pride, which to the outsider can make the place and its people look insular - an image which is cheerfully and lazily peddled by the national media (endless patronising comments from football commentators about the "proud Geordie nation", and let's not forget Geordie Shore, much as I'd like to). But that doesn't reflect my experience of the city or the (very) large majority of its people.

No, I think you must be getting it mixed up with Sunderland :smile:

I'm not denying for one minute that it was harsh! But it wasn't baseless.

I live with a Geordie, they're nice people. They do have a tendency to be a bit insular though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here