Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For what they achieved in terms of pure songwriting, and the diverse styles of music they attempted and succeeded with, are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

If not, who is?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Personally I'd go for the Floyd but it's obviously down to opinions and type of music enjoyed.

But then I could sit back and think about it and agree with Beatles.

I suppose it depends what one's criteria of "greatness" is also. Is it Musicianship? Is it breaking boundaries? Is it the songs you enjoyed the most? All variables.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yes.

They did everything, and their music is still being played today. Fantastic bandmanship, great musicians, wonderful music.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No, Steely Dan were.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes.

A staggering body of work for lads that were only 29 when the band split.

I literally can't believe how much they did so QUICKLY. Most bands tour an album for 2-4 years nowadays. It's crazy.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
They are not my favourite band but they are the greatest!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I suppose it depends what one's criteria of "greatness" is also. Is it Musicianship? Is it breaking boundaries? Is it the songs you enjoyed the most? All variables.

A combo of those 3 things?

I like to make compilation CDs for road trips, and I made an alternative Best of Beatles recently, not allowing myself ANY of the songs that are on their 1 (number ones) album. It was easy. They have SO many top, top songs. Love George Harrison's input especially.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Most people here - me included - are too young to know the impact they had on music, the number of songs they wrote, the number recorded and covered by other people, at a time when there was much less music available, and very few singer/songwriters.

For their contribution to music, I would say, yes. Do I like to listen to them - not very often.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For what they achieved in terms of pure songwriting, and the diverse styles of music they attempted and succeeded with, are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

If not, who is?

You have pretty much summed it all up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It genuinely annoys me when I see slightly hipster-ish people on my FB saying that The Beatles are overrated. That's like saying breathing is overrated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This poll is MUCH more one-sided than I expected...so far...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Buddy Holly and the Crickets run them close imo. The fact that he died aged 23 with a seriously impressive repertoire of self penned songs suggest that he could have been even bigger than the Beatles, if he'd lived. The Beatles spent years together before writing their own stuff and were no more innovative than Holly given his background and the music he had to draw on.

The Beatles were massively influenced by and also influenced so many Bands - Beach Boys, Stones and the Byrds to name just a few. They all fed off one another.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well what are they now ?

Bland. I have seen their reformed band live and have heard their new stuff. Doesn't hold a candle to their immaculate studio albums of 1972 to 1980, sadly, in my opinion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here