Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia ODI (I'd forgotten all about it as well)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Highlights so far KP ruining Carberry's day (/international career?) with some STUPID and selfish running in the first over. Still, in fairness he did go on to score 6.

Day night games in September. Brilliant.

:(

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Genuine question from a non cricket fan:

I gather we just won the ashes. Also, the next ashes is pretty soon isn't it? Before the end of the year.

And we're playing some other cricket thingy now?

For you Cricket fans;

Isn't it a bit overkill? If we win the next ashes, does it feel the same?

Just seems odd for an outsider like myself.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
TMS more interested in the 2013 World Black Pudding Throwing Championship.

Can't say I blame them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I gather we just won the ashes. Also, the next ashes is pretty soon isn't it? Before the end of the year.

For you Cricket fans;

Having the one dayers AFTER the Test Series is the most retarded thing ever. It's like making the World Cup finalists play a friendly a few days after the Final.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You have to feel for Carberry, taking the wrong end of the KP runout, he has worked so hard for so long to get his chance and it's all gone down the pan.. TMS said he did the right thing for the team but listening to KP's scratchy innings it seems that it was all in vain and that Pietersons wicket was a mercy killing.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

For you Cricket fans;

Answers to your questions are : Yes, Yes and Yes. And the answers to the questions for cricket fans, I would say, Ashes back to back in one year don't normally happen, so something of a one off but the current cricket thingy in between is certainly overkill. No, it won't be the same if we beat them in the Ashes later this year because they are likely to be much better (they have improved) and it is in Australia. We still have quite a bit to prove.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

For you Cricket fans;

I love cricket BUT having a series of one day games after a test series just doesn't wash for me. If I were offered a free ticket to the one day international on Monday (plus a free lift there and back) I think I'd prefer to go to work.

However, bring on The Ashes and I will be rabid.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Answers to your questions are : Yes, Yes and Yes. And the answers to the questions for cricket fans, I would say, Ashes back to back in one year don't normally happen, so something of a one off but the current cricket thingy in between is certainly overkill. No, it won't be the same if we beat them in the Ashes later this year because they are likely to be much better (they have improved) and it is in Australia. We still have quite a bit to prove.

follow up question then:

won't it be a real pisser if we do get beaten in the next ashes then, not having had time to really enjoy being the holders?

(bit like the St Patrick's day massacre)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Agree, the current schedule is non-stop international stuff. The upcoming Ashes in Aus (Nov 17th, I think), will be much closer. The Aussie improved all summer, and will be stronger at home. Having said that, we didn't have to be at our best to beat them this summer, bowling was pretty good, but batting was rather patchy, but good enough. Will be interesting, unfortunately, the time difference makes it difficult to watch.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
follow up question then:

won't it be a real pisser if we do get beaten in the next ashes then, not having had time to really enjoy being the holders?

(bit like the St Patrick's day massacre)

It will indeed be and if we'd been ruthless in this one it would be less likely. However we weren't and despite losing 3-0, the Aussies actually improved and grew in confidence as the series went on. They have arguably only one or two players who would get into the England team, but their captain is a better captain which can on occasions make a big difference.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Should add, if we beat them it will feel much better than this one did. Even if it is close.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
I can't believe Wright hasn't been given a shot really, outstanding form for the lions and did ok in the T20 but he doesn't get a look in the one day squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here