Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney sums it up!

Aug 26, 2011
Ok Wayne's gash was pretty bad but surely a few stitches and a bandage would have enabled him to play last night??
Is this another example of club over country?
Why don't we have any players with grit, passion and determination anymore?
What happened to the players like Terry 'blood bath' Butcher and Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce?
I'd give a body part to represent my country, and would still play if it was still bleeding!
If the players don't give a **** then how can we?

Come on England, grow a pair!!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you paid an employee £150K a week, how would you feel about him going off to do some voluntary work for someone else with a head injury that there was a very good chance would be aggravated during it?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'm with the Guardian report, that said Lambert actually made a more mature and rounded contribution than a "tetchy and peripheral" Rooney had on the same pitch 12 months previously against Italy.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Every now and then there's a poll on here that goes something along the lines of: England to win the World Cup, or Brighton to win the league. Brighton wins every time. Why should we expect other clubs and their players to be any different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm with the Guardian report, that said Lambert actually made a more mature and rounded contribution than a "tetchy and peripheral" Rooney had on the same pitch 12 months previously against Italy.

I'd rather have someone like Lambert playing to be quite honest. He genuinely seemed honoured to play for the nation. I'm not convinced Rooney has the hunger for club football let alone England these days.

terrybutcher.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It is all well and good posting that picture of Terry Butcher and asking why none of our players are like that now. Yet we all know that Butcher would not be allowed to play in that condition now. Same, probably, goes for Rooney, head wound likely to opened up by heading a football = cannot play.

It is all well and good posting that picture of Terry Butcher and asking why none of our players are like that now. Yet we all know that Butcher would not be allowed to play in that condition now. Same, probably, goes for Rooney, head wound likely to opened up by heading a football = cannot play.

Yes yes, I know blood injuries have to leave the field, change shirts etc but Butcher belonged to a generation who would quite literally bleed for the cause.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

If not literally, then as a metaphor for a core of passion, commitment and honour to play for England that seems to have faded more and more in recent years.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I agree that there isn't the passion and desire to play for England that there once was, but also there isn't the quality either, not existing, nor coming through. We should take a leaf out of crickets or tennis books, find some decent foreigners, and work out how to make themEnglish enough to play for England.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd rather have someone like Lambert playing to be quite honest. He genuinely seemed honoured to play for the nation. I'm not convinced Rooney has the hunger for club football let alone England these days.

Absolutely agree - Rooney shouldn't have the privilege of wearing an England shirt again.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Ok Wayne's gash was pretty bad but surely a few stitches and a bandage would have enabled him to play last night??
Is this another example of club over country?
Why don't we have any players with grit, passion and determination anymore?
What happened to the players like Terry 'blood bath' Butcher and Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce?
I'd give a body part to represent my country, and would still play if it was still bleeding!
If the players don't give a **** then how can we?

Come on England, grow a pair!!

You are being reactionary and hysterical about Rooney.

Terry Butcher and Paul Ince may have acquired legendary status on the nights they played with head wounds and blood stained shirts, however they got their injuries during the games, when adrenalin would have been pumping round their bodies mitigating the pain.

Rooney has evidently got a serious head wound which following a weeks stitching would be very sore, and sure he could have got an injection or something but last night wasn't quite do or die for qualification to Brazil where he had to put everything on the line (even if he wanted to).

On the broader theme though I agree, however capitalism trumps patriotism, for both the players and the clubs, I personally don't agree with it but tragically this is an unintended consequence of the Prem.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I thin it's easy to criticise the players for not trying but last night wasn't one of them. Gerrard gave everything in particular and always does and Cahill was immense at the back. Ashley Cole was also working his socks off. Lampard had a strangely quiet game. I think the problem lies in a certain lack of football intelligence and inexperience with the younger ones. Kyle Walker seems to have let the limelight get to him and will be interesting to see how he reacts. Wilshere also wasn't fit, but seemed for once a little overawed too. Technically we are still weak and when that leads to stray passes and heads drop I think people tend to see that as a lack of commitment. We've struggled to have a real leader for years. I really like Gerrard and I think he leads brilliantly by example on the pitch but not sure he's the "inspire you with fire" sort of type like Harry Redknapp, that makes a player feel ten foot tall. Overall in both games this and last week I think we've been tactically sound and the team did a great job to get those two results with the amount of injuries. I don't think lack of commitment was an issue in either games.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
When I heard about the Rooney injury I thought, eh? can't they just stitch it up.

When I saw it though, fair enough.

When are england fans going to stop dishing out constant shit to our players about 'passion' or whatever.

Rooney's shite first touch when he has an England shirt on is all that I care about.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I agree that there isn't the passion and desire to play for England that there once was, but also there isn't the quality either, not existing, nor coming through. We should take a leaf out of crickets or tennis books, find some decent foreigners, and work out how to make themEnglish enough to play for England.

Arteta, for example, is qualified to play for England. But would he be good enough?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Blah blah Rooney is the antichrist blah blah during the war blah blah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here