Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oi. NSC. Have you ever sold JEWELLERY?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
After NSC helped me so greatly with figuring out what was wrong with my car (It was the flumminginner which had slipped out of the Racket Spangels) I thought I'd seek help once again.

In the ever-lasting quest to flog stuff I don't need anymore I now move onto LADY SHINY STUFF (not mine personally...)

Perhaps I'm wrong but I just don't LIKE the idea of sending it off to one of these Cash4Gold people. Has anyone done this and did they feel they get a reasonable price?

We know what the item was purchased for (a significant amount) and it is completely un used. Are we best going to a jewelers in Brighton or are these cash4gold companys actually a good option?

Thanks for sorting my life NSC. x

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
On here, why not try shifting your Albion stuff?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would go round the south laine and have a nice haggle.

OR check when Antiques Roadshow is coming back to Sussex.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I only own my season ticket as my albion "stuff".

I have a signed programme (from the whole team) from the last home match which I'm willing to listen to offers of £3000 for.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This is what I was thinking but I imagine they will pick up on my complete lack of knowledge and screw me over (financially)

True they're guaranteed to try and bend you over, but a) you don't need to sell i to any of them so if you're not satisfied with the price you can walk away and b) I do enjoy a haggle. Reckon that a cash4gold would offer you a far worse deal though!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have no experience, but I would imagine the postal option surely must be the worst possible choice. I'm sure you'll get absolutely minimum from them. Going to a good jewellers must be the best bet, they'll need to make a profit, but won't necessarily screw you over.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I have no experience, but I would imagine the postal option surely must be the worst possible choice. I'm sure you'll get absolutely minimum from them. Going to a good jewellers must be the best bet, they'll need to make a profit, but won't necessarily screw you over.

Without doubt this. I used to run a jewellery business and though we didn't buy stuff from the general public I did get asked a lot. You can be certain that even the meanest jeweller will give you a much better deal than Cash4Gold or any other such outfit. Mark up when I was doing the tom foolery trade was 1:2.5 ie/ generally if a jeweller bought a ring wholesale for £10 they'd sell it for £25. So work off that basis and you'll probably get a decent price. You might want to get it valued first if you're unsure so you can flog it with some confidence.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Cash4Gold and related companies will likely give you a value for the jewellery as scrap metal, based on its weight. So if you have something that you think is worth more than just the metal by weight, don't sell it to them.

Do you know what the carat of the metal is (you can find this out from the hallmark) and what, if any, the gemstones are? Have a look around in some second hand jewellers for similar items. You obviously won't get the same price that they will be selling for, but it gives you an idea of the value.

Getting a professional valuation is a good suggestion if the item(s) are of high value, but bear in mind that these can cost upwards of £50 themselves, so only worth it on something of high value (or many items of a combined high value)

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Put it on eBay and START it at the absolute minimum you'd take for it (don't bother faffing about with a reserve), and if it sells for that, you are happy. eBay buyers are very knowledgable, and if it is desirable, watch the bids flood in :) If it doesn't sell, it's only cost you a small insertion fee, and you know the market doesn't rate it, and you can lower your sights :thumbsup:

georg

Sep 11, 2013
Without doubt this. I used to run a jewellery business and though we didn't buy stuff from the general public I did get asked a lot. You can be certain that even the meanest jeweller will give you a much better deal than Cash4Gold or any other such outfit. Mark up when I was doing the tom foolery trade was 1:2.5 ie/ generally if a jeweller bought a ring wholesale for £10 they'd sell it for £25. So work off that basis and you'll probably get a decent price. You might want to get it valued first if you're unsure so you can flog it with some confidence.
Exactly. You are definitely right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here