Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A lack of ambition & using the FFP as an excuse.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
We watched the transfer window come and go with no real movement but thankfully of course we didn't lose anyone, we tightened the ship for a season of consolidation, but is that enough? Tony Bloom when asked during the fans forum was quoted as saying that top 6 is a realistic and achievable target, not if we don't back the manager in the window it isn't Tony.

We get 26k plus through the door, came so close last season and within 90 mins of Wembley and for me are just missing those special two players now, that attacking midfielder/winger who can unlock defences and also that elusive striker which we most desperately need due to CMS not being back to his best until new year & a decidedly average Ashley Barnes. It's gutted to see that Garcia feels the team is good enough in the striking department, one injury to the big man and we are literally screwed, that doesn't equal that were in a good enough position striking wise and also puts too much pressure on Ulloa.

Our promotion rivals are bringing in players, spending money and attempting to get out of this division, we're sitting still, bedding in and consolidating and after last season its disappointing to say the least. Yes we have a new manager, yes it's a tough league but at least go for it, at least show some form of intent to get out of this division.

Are we that poor we cant stretch the budget for 3 months in the loan window and therefore have to bring in a striker called Obika who has never scored a decent amount of goals? It's like employing someone at a company who you know isn't that good at the job he's supposed to do, you wouldn't do it!

This FFP is all well timed as well as for me they know that the sanctions for breaking the FFP rules are not going to be bad, which is why a lot of championship clubs are breaking them. A small fine is not going to scare teams, if they had threatened non-promotion then it would be taken seriously.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Boring

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Thankfully read posts 2 and 3 before I got too far into post 1

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ignoring FFP: is an annual loss of 8m not a good enough excuse to not go mad on transfers for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
did you ever see the Albion play Barrow at the Goldstone ............that was very boring too!

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Ignoring FFP: is an annual loss of 8m not a good enough excuse to not go mad on transfers for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

No, which football clubs outside the prem operate in profit?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
did you ever see the Albion play Barrow at the Goldstone ............that was very boring too!

No, I used to go to the priestfield every other week though, that was pretty boring.....what that's got to do with the fact that I think were showing a lack of ambition now, I do not know.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Would be saying this if we'd bought Ulloa in the summer rather than last January. *shrugs*

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Have you learnt nothing from what happened in the 80's. We nearly went ****ing bust, and were very nearly wound up. I'm all for making sure this football club meets the FFP rules, and remain playing Championship football for the foreseeable future, rather than lose money hand over fist, get into the Premiership and then plummet down the league a la Portsmouth because the money dries up. I would hate to be a club who couldn't pay the St John's Ambulance.

I'm a great admirer of Arsenal and the way they have demonstrated how to remain a top 6 club without losing money. This is a ****ing marathon, not a sprint, and the marathon is over many, many seasons.

Don't wish your life away, and enjoy the ride.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I did buddy, it's called a £635 season ticket and a £4 pie.

Great!

What about covering the 8m+ loss that "having ambition" will cost?

FFP is not an excuse. TB has said many times that the club needs to be self-financing as he is not going to dip his hand in his pocket forever. I am sure that he would have said this irrespective of FFP.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Played in maroon shirts in one match if I remember correctly

I am sure it was a match about that time that Kit Napier scored direct from a corner, but then my memory is not that good and I am sure someone on this board will correct me.

my point here was that things change FFP is very boring but has to be adhered to otherwise we will end up playing the likes of Barrow again

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Have you learnt nothing from what happened in the 80's. We nearly went ****ing bust, and were very nearly wound up. I'm all for making sure this football club meets the FFP rules, and remain playing Championship football for the foreseeable future, rather than lose money hand over fist, get into the Premiership and then plummet down the league a la Portsmouth because the money dries up. I would hate to be a club who couldn't pay the St John's Ambulance.

I'm a great admirer of Arsenal and the way they have demonstrated how to remain a top 6 club without losing money. This is a ****ing marathon, not a sprint, and the marathon is over many, many seasons.

Don't wish your life away, and enjoy the ride.

Really? There's a huge proportion of heavily-fleeced Gooners who would beg to differ. At least we haven't got a couple of foreign owners who cheerfully trouser a hefty profit at the end of every season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here