Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

12 Years since 9/11

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Hi All,
Just a reminder, if necessary, that it’s 12 years since that awful day when so many people needlessly died in the Twin Towers in New York. To a lot of us, one name is very special, that of Robert Eaton.

To those who don’t know, Robert, an enthusiastic Albion fan, used to post on the NSC message board. A few on here knew him personally, many knew him only as “Ricky Marlowe’s Hairpiece”.

When Robert died, the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund was born and since its inception, has helped globally with donations and support for footballing youngsters.
A massive amount of this support has come from the wonderful readers and posters of NSC.

So, a massive “Thank You”, to all that have supported the REMF in any way. It would be nice if people today could take a moment to reflect on that tragic event and to think of Robert’s parents, Doug and Laura, and his sisters.

Tony, REMF Chairman

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
9/11 all those years ago

Today we tragically lost one of our own and NSC came together and embraced the REMF for good causes around the world.

There are people on this board who lost colleagues and friends today in that tragic event. We remember them today and always.

RIP Robert Eaton ( Ricky Marlowe's Hairpiece) and our thoughts are with Doug and Laura and all his family today.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Today we tragically lost one of our own and NSC came together and embraced the REMF for good causes around the world.

There are people on this board who lost colleagues and friends today in that tragic event. We remember them today and always.

RIP Robert Eaton ( Ricky Marlowe's Hairpiece) and our thoughts are with Doug and Laura and all his family today.

Indeed, doesn't seem possible it's 12 years. Still thinking of the 658 friends and colleagues I lost that day,

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I still find watching the documentaries harrowing but feel a strange need to watch them.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I still find watching the documentaries harrowing but feel a strange need to watch them.

Completely agree. Also how I felt about visiting ground zero. Really didn't want to but felt I had to.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Completely agree. Also how I felt about visiting ground zero. Really didn't want to but felt I had to.

Do you think it helps us to build perspective? I think that's why I feel the need to. Not been to New York but would without doubt visit ground zero if I visited. As a mark of respect to the dead if nothing else.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'll always count it an immense privilege to have been involved with the REMF first game. It's amazing how it all came together.

Credit to everyone, Albion and Palace, who's ever been involved in organizing or supporting the charity.

But the thing that I remember the most was the thread on the day itself - very poignant and moving to read through it as events unraveled and the realization dawned.

RIP Robert.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If anyone can locate the ***Official 9/11 thread*** on NSC from twelve years ago, I'd appreciate it... would make fascinating reading.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If anyone can locate the ***Official 9/11 thread*** on NSC from twelve years ago, I'd appreciate it... would make fascinating reading.

That would be incredible. I have a fascination with 9/11, like the others who have posted in this thread, I'm not sure why. It's just such an incredible and mindboggling sequence of events that we'll never fully understand. Such a tragic and substantial loss of life, THE worst day this millennium.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003

Think it was called "What the f**ks happening at the World Trade Centre?" It was the old style board, so not sure if it would've been archived. I remember Ricky Marlowes Hairpiece posting the day before. RIP.

Brian Riggs

Aug 7, 2009
Do you think it helps us to build perspective? I think that's why I feel the need to. Not been to New York but would without doubt visit ground zero if I visited. As a mark of respect to the dead if nothing else.

I did exactly that a few years ago and wished I hadn't. It was full of people trying to cash in on the tragedy by selling pictures, etc. There were also a lot of vistors pulling back the tarpaulin to get better photos.

I went to pay my respects but left feeling very disappointed by the actions of many.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I didn't realise there was anything going on that day until I saw that thread. NSC was first with the news of the 9/11 attacks for me.

franks brother

Re: 9/11 all those years ago

Was in new york last spring. Visted ground zero very moving.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378900694363.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378900694363.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 206

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I remember we played a home match at The Withdean that evening. I think it was against Southampton though not totally sure. The atmosphere was really surreal and the quietest ever-which is saying something for that ground. The crowd left in virtual silence afterwards as events continued to gradually sink in.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Like many, I never knew Robert Eaton - but, like all Albion fans, I would imagine we all felt that extra bit of sorrow upon learning one of us was killed in those awful events.
It certainly doesn't feel like 12 years ago & I can still remember clearly sitting here in my office when my wife called and told me to look on the news....but the internet was totally frozen. Moments later the 2nd plane hit as she was describing down the phone what she was seeing on TV....just horrendous, & I'll remember her cries down the phone for as long as I'll live.
Surely its time for a "Robert Eaton Stand" at the Amex?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember we played a home match at The Withdean that evening. I think it was against Southampton though not totally sure. The atmosphere was really surreal and the quietest ever-which is saying something for that ground. The crowd left in virtual silence afterwards as events continued to gradually sink in.

I was in London working that evening even though I had southampton tickets. We were preparing all our DR suites and systems for the expected rush of people wanting to Invoke the service we provide.

We lost employees in the attact and we were one of teh first to be aware that something was happening as all out Transatlantic links suddenly went RED. The only other time that has happened was when a ship sank in the atlantic severing teh cables that are laid on the ocean floor! Most of teh transatlantic Hubs were based in the WTC and were taken out when the first plane hit.

One of the problems in the aftermath was that all flights were grounded so US personel couldnt get out and eventually people were leaving to come over to europe via Canada.

It was a very surreal couple of days

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It was Southampton we played that night- just looked it up. We lost 3-0

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This was one of those days in history that I can truly remember where I was during the whole event. I was 14 when Kennedy was shot and don't remember that. John Lennon, yes.

Years later I found out that a lot of banking furniture I had once worked on manufacturing in a factory, was in the Twin Towers and was destroyed. That brought it home to me even more.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Such a strange day. I was at school at the time and they had a habbit of keeping the news from the kids (a lot easier back then) so that we weren't distracted during lessons. The first we heard was on the bus home when a guy Simon told us. We started taking the mick thinking he was making it up or being an idiot. It wasn't until a woman infront of us on thebus told us to have some respect as her brother was in the towers that we realised it was actually true. The whole bus went silent in seconds.

The strangest thing was that a few years later we were studying 9/11 in 6th form, and I mentioned how I remembered the whole day and how Simon had told me on the bus. We discussed it and looked at different reporting and then left the room. i had a free so walked to the common room to be greated by Simon, I had barely spoken to him for months but he ran overto tell me that London had been bombed. 9/11 and 7/7 two dates that I will always remember and will never forget those that lost their lives

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'd gone into town to pick up my wages and when I got home I thought my mum was watching some disaster movie on Sky or something so went upstairs to do a bit of work. Came downstairs again hours later to see mum still watching the "disaster movie". When I twigged it was the news I was incredibly shocked. Sat and watched it with her until the early hours.

I also did not know Robert but do feel sadness that we lost one of our own in an act of senseless barbarism.

RIP

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here