Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

england player ratings

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Harsh on Lambert. Playing as the lone striker I think he put in a good shift and kept their defenders busy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We should've done player ratings the other night when we played well and won!

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Hart 7
Walker 6
A Cole 7
Cahill 7
Jagielka 6
Gerrard 7
Lampard 6
Wiltshire 5
Walcott 6
Milner 6
Lambert 6

I thought they played to their usual standard, we're simply not a footballing power any more. I think the tide is turning though, coaches are realising that the old methods aren't working. We'd do a lot worse than just copying how the Germans administer football, and how the Spanish coach it.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
To be fair, the game plan was obviously to get the draw, we defended in droves and got it. A full strength team and it might have been a different kettle of fish.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
To be fair, the game plan was obviously to get the draw, we defended in droves and got it. A full strength team and it might have been a different kettle of fish.

Unless part of this plan involved intentionally losing the ball after 2 touches, nothing went to plan. The plan was to win, it's Ukraine.

Defenders: 7
Everyone else: pick a random number between 4 and 5

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and who would be replacing anyone in that starting 11? Rooney for Lambert, though questionable improvement. Johnson for Walker, not going to make us into a cohesive attacking force. Oxlade-Chamberlain on the left wing is the only outright improvement i can see, but for this fixture i reckon he'd still have played Milner for the defensive anyway. that was borderline the first team, it was sloppy with only a single decent chance in the whole first half, at which point i gave up on it.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
and who would be replacing anyone in that starting 11? Rooney for Lambert, though questionable improvement. Johnson for Walker, not going to make us into a cohesive attacking force. Oxlade-Chamberlain on the left wing is the only outright improvement i can see, but for this fixture i reckon he'd still have played Milner for the defensive anyway. that was borderline the first team, it was sloppy with only a single decent chance in the whole first half, at which point i gave up on it.

Rooney a "questionable improvement" ... really? Anyone would be better than Walker tonight at RB too and the Ox is a good option for centre midfield these days coming off the bench if you're needing to inject a bit of pace and creativity.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hart 6
Walker 5 - poor first half, shadow of Tottenham player
Cole 7
Cahill 5 - ok first half sloppy second
Jagielka 6
Lampard 4 - great club player, how many of the 100 caps has he excelled?
Wilshire 4 - great club player, sloppy in possession found out at higher level
Gerrard 7
Milner 3 - useless
Walcott 4 - scared
Lambert 5 - see cahill

Young 3 - shouldn't be in squad

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Rooney a "questionable improvement" ... really?

Yeah I don't get that. I guess there allot of people are buying this Roy of the Rovers nonsense that the media are whipping up about Lambert. Sure he's got 2 in 2 but they were against pub sides. Playing against an average Ukrainian side he looked decidedly ordinary......as did pretty much everyone else Cahill aside.

David Bernstein was on the back of the Standard last night, in one paragraph he was saying we can win Brazil. In the next paragraph he went on to say we are in a strong position to qualify! No wonder they booted the senile old goat out. We're a poor side who have sank to the depths of being pleased at eaking out a draw against Ukraine. I think we probably will qualify but it wouldn't surprise me if we arse it up royally.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yeah I don't get that. I guess there allot of people are buying this Roy of the Rovers nonsense that the media are whipping up about Lambert. Sure he's got 2 in 2 but they were against pub sides. Playing against an average Ukrainian side he looked decidedly ordinary......as did pretty much everyone else Cahill aside.

I think that's very unfair on Lambert.

First half he played very well and was doing everything asked of him.

Second half he was COMPLETELY exposed. The ball was being hoofed in his general direction and, if he managed to evade 2 or 3 players to control it, he then had about 20-30 yards between him and any supporting players. It was a completely thankless task up there last night and in no way should be used as an "anti" argument against Lambert.

Honestly, you could have chucked RVP up there and it still wouldnt have made a difference in the second half.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
By the way, Cahill deserves everyone else's ratings as well (apart from Jagielka). His performance was that much better.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I think that's very unfair on Lambert.

First half he played very well and was doing everything asked of him.

Second half he was COMPLETELY exposed. The ball was being hoofed in his general direction and, if he managed to evade 2 or 3 players to control it, he then had about 20-30 yards between him and any supporting players. It was a completely thankless task up there last night and in no way should be used as an "anti" argument against Lambert.

Honestly, you could have chucked RVP up there and it still wouldnt have made a difference in the second half.

Wasn't specifically a dig against Lambert, as I said he was as poor as everyone else in the side last night. It's a sad reflection on the state of the national side that our best attacking option is a bloke who a couple of years ago was sweeping the factory floor.

Would we have been better with Rooney up there or Andy Caroll? Yes I think we would have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here