Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plastic. Money

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Looks like we will have plastic bank notes by 2016 . Apparently they will stay cleaner , last longer and will be washing machine safe .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If they feature Rachel Riley and Konni Huq getting jiggy with each other on the face of the notes it makes a lot of sense to have them wipeable.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
About time we caught up with the colonies, really.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agreed that it's a good idea. I was in Malaysia recently where they have plastic money for the lower domination notes and I was thinking that it must save them a fortune on printing them because the longevity was years rather than weeks or months for the paper notes. I just wish the likes of India and Egypt do the same. Anyone who's seen the state of the notes over there will know what I mean. They were like used tissue paper at times.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great idea however there will be a huge cost for conversion of Ticket Vending Machines or you could say a licence to print money for those that operate them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a great name for them. 'Credit Card'. I wonder if it will catch on?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aussie notes are brilliant, you can stuff 'em in yer boardies and hit the waves and they come out completely unscathed. Only drawback I found is they don't fold. On the plus side, you can't rip the corner off them by accident, or reduce them to mush in the laundrette, they're practically indestructible. Suspect they'd be about the only things to survive a nuclear war along with the cockroaches.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
We have them here in Canada now and they have pros and cons. Great as they are water safe now. 2 biggest draw backs with ours...sticking together and they crease way easier/more permanent than paper money.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Only two countries I've been to currently use plastic notes, Australia and Vietnam (I haven't been to Canada). It was introduced about 20 years ago in Australia, I always wondered why it took so long for other countries to follow suit.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
We have them here in Canada now and they have pros and cons. Great as they are water safe now. 2 biggest draw backs with ours...sticking together and they crease way easier/more permanent than paper money.

I think it depends on what kind of plastic is used. The Malaysian ones aren't "waxy" like some countries so they don't stick together.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The Monster Raving Loony Party had a similar idea back in the 80's. It was their solution to the currency sinking on the international markets. They proposed that all UK notes should be covered in plastic - so they would float by design. Sharp cookies them Loonies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here