Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forget loans and get the youngsters involved

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having just watched the Burke video, made me think we are missing the opportunity to give the likes of barker and March etc involved.

In much the same way Poyet banged on about having an identity as a club, maybe Our identity should be that we will bring through young British talent into the squad. With the new academy being sorted out, it would be a bit like raising a big flag to decent young talent to get in our academy , because unlike some clubs we Will give you a chance.

Or am I just talking shite.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
March yes, bring it on. Barker needs time away to improve his game in league 1 or 2 I think.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I'm a big fan of Solly March, but do you think he would be ok up against Morgan or Shittu.
Barker and March couldntfill that role. We need cover for Leo.
Thats not to say Solly shouldnt be used as a wide-midfield player.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I want to see Lualua play as a striker, Peter Ward style.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Having just watched the Burke video, made me think we are missing the opportunity to give the likes of barker and March etc involved.

In much the same way Poyet banged on about having an identity as a club, maybe Our identity should be that we will bring through young British talent into the squad. With the new academy being sorted out, it would be a bit like raising a big flag to decent young talent to get in our academy , because unlike some clubs we Will give you a chance.

I agree. But not yet, the talent isn't there. That should be the aim in about 5-10 years.

I would have thought March will get his chance this season.

I want to see Lualua play as a striker, Peter Ward style.

Christ, really? On what basis? Repeatedly doing the same trick and then scuffing his shot and sulking when he can't get in the team?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As David Burke correctly pointed out players like March need to be brought on slowly not thrown in at the deep end and expected to perform every week. Barker should go out on loan to Portsmouth or another Div 2 side to find his level.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

you're talking shite....the youngsters are not ready yet to play against some of the seasoned pros we meet in this league.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

That's exactly the reason why this country wins **** all at national level. Instead of nurturing young talent, like Owen, Wilshere and Rooney by playing them in the u21s we chuck them in at the deep end just to get results and then complain when they're burnt out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We seem to think you aren't old enough to play until, what, 25? 26? Because there are some cloggers about.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As much as we give Palace grief, fair play to them for their youth policy. The likes of Southampton, Middlesboro, Everton, Leeds even more so because there's no finer sight for a footie fan than seeing a local lad playing for your club.

I was talking about this with a few mates today and saying how proud I was of that team that Wilkins developed. We may have been playing in an awful stadium with awful facilities but the team that he got 7th one year was predominantly local talent. At one point in the season over half the first team would be homegrown talent. That was something special.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's exactly the reason why this country wins **** all at national level. Instead of nurturing young talent, like Owen, Wilshere and Rooney by playing them in the u21s we chuck them in at the deep end just to get results and then complain when they're burnt out.

I think quite the opposite. We are not bringing through anywhere near as many youngsters into the game as we used to. Because thy are not playing first team football, our national team suffers.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm a big fan of Solly March, but do you think he would be ok up against Morgan or Shittu.
Barker and March couldntfill that role. We need cover for Leo.
Thats not to say Solly shouldnt be used as a wide-midfield player.

Yeah I wasn't clear. I was just making a case for the youngsters , I wouldn't consider playing March up front.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Barker isn't going to cut it and should be sent out on loan ahead of being released, March is a great prospect but isn't ready to be starting games. JFC is a fringe player and could step up if needed I think. Obviously Ince has already played a number of times this season.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Barker isn't going to cut it and should be sent out on loan ahead of being released, March is a great prospect but isn't ready to be starting games. JFC is a fringe player and could step up if needed I think. Obviously Ince has already played a number of times this season.
Incey boy is playing very well, very good to see him playing but unfortunately for him bridcutt will be back soon

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here