Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke Interview

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Cat 1 academy :thumbsup:

Palace were tearing their hair out why are only cat 2 instead of one. I've seen their training ground and can understand why. Cat 1 then we'll be up there with Man Utd etc. Happy days.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Good stuff. Some interesting points that have been discussed on recent threads:

Player budget same as last year.
He has already noticed at least a 25% drop in wage demands/signing on fee demands since August this year under FFP.
Aiming for Cat 1 academy
The manager will always choose which players to purchase for the first team.
It is his scouting and analysis team that put forward who is likely to be available during the transfer/loan windows - they ensure that these players have been watched regularly and recently, so that the information provided to the manager about them is as up to date as possible. The analysis team always takes into account the manager's desires re what type of players they need and whittle out those that do not fit the bill. The selected players are presented to the management team for them to scout themselves and choose who they want.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Having a top academy setup can't happen soon enough- it'll still take a few years to really flourish but hopefully we'll get a constant stream of good young players knocking on the door of the first team

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Contrary to a lot of the tripe spouted by quite a few on here who said OG has no say in recruitment,.... know-it-all cretins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Linking this to the Palace conversation on Roar.

That went along the lines of 'Selhurst is the last place you'd take a potential signing'.

We'll be able to do all signings at the training ground and then say:-

'oh would you like to see the ground too'.

(I'll make sure I bring my pen Mr Messi!! :lol:)

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Good stuff. Some interesting points that have been discussed on recent threads:

Player budget same as last year.
He has already noticed at least a 25% drop in wage demands/signing on fee demands since August this year under FFP.
Aiming for Cat 1 academy
It is his scouting and analysis team that put forward who is likely to be available during the transfer/loan windows - they ensure that these players have been watched regularly and recently, so that the information provided to the manager about them is as up to date as possible. The analysis team always takes into account the manager's desires re what type of players they need and whittle out those that do not fit the bill. The selected players are presented to the management team for them to scout themselves and choose who they want.

Sounds like an overly complicated strategy. Why not just sign loads of random players who happen to be available/willing to come and then get rid of those that don't fit into your plans and/or squad size limitation?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sounds like an overly complicated strategy. Why not just sign loads of random players who happen to be available/willing to come and then get rid of those that don't fit into your plans and/or squad size limitation?

Lol. I bet our strategy a more cost efficient

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
OK - no bombshells in there about transfer budgets or new players but good sensible stuff about FFP, and confirms what many of us believe on here.

I note that David mentions other clubs already appearing to be operating outside FFP limits and whether they will be sanctioned when their accounts are published. My fear is that The Albion are trying to do the right thing within FFP and possibly limiting our chances on the pitch while other clubs spray money around and are allowed to get away with it. Time will tell.

A Cat 1 training complex would be a real feather in our cap. Interesting that he talks about realistically only 2 players per age group progressing through the system.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
That is the first time I've heard David Burke speak, or indeed seen what he looks like, and I'm impressed with what he says. It seems that in Bloom, Barber and Burke we have three people guiding the club in a professional and businesslike manner. That interview has reinforced my impression that the club is continuing to head in the right direction, despite last seasons set back.

Good times ahead.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

:)

I note that David mentions other clubs already appearing to be operating outside FFP limits and whether they will be sanctioned when their accounts are published. My fear is that The Albion are trying to do the right thing within FFP and possibly limiting our chances on the pitch while other clubs spray money around and are allowed to get away with it. Time will tell.

Yes indeed. A big test of the Football League's resolve

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yes, I mentioned this in a thread the other day. It's telling that Burke says "if" the defaulters are punished and not "when". There must be some real doubt as to whether the FL will really show its teeth - look at the way that the Watford 'transfer embargo' was quickly done away with. That didn't bode well for punishments post-FFP

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

This. I really do think that nothing will be done to clubs working outside the FFP limit, unless they go into administration which the football league will probably then fine them. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
OK - no bombshells in there about transfer budgets or new players but good sensible stuff about FFP, and confirms what many of us believe on here.

I thought the same thing myself. Would be a real kick in the teeth if the club, after working so hard to get their house in order then other clubs just get a slap on the wrist.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009

:lolol:

I cannot, for one moment, think of who you might have in mind!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
It was nice to see he'd put in the effort to get all baby-oiled up for the interview. I bet when he stood up his clothes slid straight off. Slippery character....

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A Cat 1 training complex would be a real feather in our cap. Interesting that he talks about realistically only 2 players per age group progressing through the system.

I heard something the other day talking about Bayern Munich's academy. Each year they aim to produce:

2 players for the first team
2 players for the reserves
2 players of the ability to play in the Bundesliga.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I heard something the other day talking about Bayern Munich's academy. Each year they aim to produce:

2 players for the first team
2 players for the reserves
2 players of the ability to play in the Bundesliga.

Is that specific to them or is it similar across the Bundesliga after the mass investment in youth development following the dismal German showing at Euro 2000?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here