Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agents fees

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Agents are a complete waste of money, and represent a lot of what is wrong with the game today.

If we could eradicate them from the game, it would be a far more sensible place.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Why do players need agents for? Are players so thick that they can't negorogate themselves. I haven't an agent for when I attend job interviews.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why do players need agents for? Are players so thick that they can't negorogate themselves. I haven't an agent for when I attend job interviews.

They offer options to their clients, which can help in strengthening their negotiating hand, seems quite reasonable to me.

Bad agents will always be bad and unnecessary, but good agents have an important role to play.

Clubs do not always play by the queensbury rules you know, they will manipulate and drive deals through without a thought for what might be best for that player.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
7th highest agent cost.

Will be interesting to see what it is like next year after what appears to be a much more prudent approach, and a lower transfer budget.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
How did Blackpool manage not not pay a penny to agents?!?!

And how did Blackburn manage to pay £3.5m to agents?!?!

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
They offer options to their clients, which can help in strengthening their negotiating hand, seems quite reasonable to me.

Bad agents will always be bad and unnecessary, but good agents have an important role to play.

Clubs do not always play by the queensbury rules you know, they will manipulate and drive deals through without a thought for what might be best for that player.

I'm sure that a player with half a brain can work out the best deal. Having an agent suggests the player is the type to wear the skirt in relationships and to scared to man up and decide what he wants.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Sensible post premiership management and not sensibile post premiership management!

I guess Jordan Rhodes cost them a fair bit in agent fees.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Read at the weekend that one football club refuse to deal with any agents. Cant remember the club at the moment but shall come back to me later.

Agents are parasites.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm sure that a player with half a brain can work out the best deal. Having an agent suggests the player is the type to wear the skirt in relationships and to scared to man up and decide what he wants.

Ok, 3 pretty average scenarios.

1) Young kid gets released after his first year pro, what does he do ? If he happens to have an agent, he would try and secure trials and interest from other clubs.

2) A player is signed for £100,000 on meager wages, he scores bucket loads of goals, is a crowd favourite, the managers favourite, the player loves it at the club but the club need/want to cash in, make a quick buck, pay off some debt, sell him for £1 000 000. How much should he ask for, perhaps from his new club and from his current club, what clauses would benefit or hinder him in any new contract, ok the PFA might offer something similar and more palatable, but who knows.

3) English international, Coca Cola, Adidas, Mastercard phones up, how much should you be paid ??

Look they have a role to play and are necessary, they deserve paying for the service they provide, ultimately it all comes from the club, either through factoring in their fee's within their players wages, or directly from the club as agent fee's, its part of football and for the most part quite an essential service for most players.

Ultimately if clubs wanna pay their players in excess of £100 000 per week, then they deserve each other !!!!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
An agent is the "poker face" of a player who can't bluff.

Walking into a negotiation you have 2 figures in mind... I'd like to pay X but would pay up to Y (or will sell for W but would like to get Z).

Agents allow the player to openly say what they would accept with the knowledge that the agent will get as close to the top figure that overlaps with the club's "will pay, won't pay" limits.

They serve a very useful function for people who's skill set involves kicking a pig's bladder and not negotiating multi-million pound deals.

That said... sack them all, the parasitic b*stards.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
For me the issue is no longer agents, it's players wages. Clubs need to be working on getting those down, the agent fees will then follow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This still does not address Footsoldier's comment which is why cant players do this themselves?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Agents are a cancer draining cash and lifeblood from the business of football. I think all Agents should be employed and paid for by he PFA, and their costs should be met from player contributions/subscriptions. Players do not need an agent for more than 6 or 7 days a year, so there is massive over-supply in this so-called industry.

I say clubs should never have to pay a single penny to Agents, their fees should be exclusively met by the people they represent, ie the players, who are after all the most wealthy in the whole football equation, by a country mile.

Just say "NO", together and unequivocally, and we can rid this cancer from our game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here