Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
You haven’t noticed racism on the rise yourself especially during the last year or so?

In recent years I have spent most of my time abroad - in Cyprus, where there are quite a lot of racist attitudes which disturb me.

In the UK I really thought (hoped) that things had improved a lot during my lifetime and were gradually continuing to do so. Sadly it seems I may have been wrong, although I haven't personally seen evidence of this (as opposed to seeing stuff in the media).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In recent years I have spent most of my time abroad - in Cyprus, where there are quite a lot of racist attitudes which disturb me.

In the UK I really thought (hoped) that things had improved a lot during my lifetime and were gradually continuing to do so. Sadly it seems I may have been wrong, although I haven't personally seen evidence of this (as opposed to seeing stuff in the media).
I lived in Cyprus for a few months to be honest I found it a bit boring and then I got deported for working before getting slapped around in the local nick which was about the most exciting thing that happened there, I’m going back over 25 years so things have probably changed for the better by now.

Back to the subject yes the racism in football has been on the rise just have a look at the abuse black players get on social media. It’s driven by morons of course If for example Raheem Sterling had scored the goals to win the World Cup for England the same morons would be chanting his name.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I lived in Cyprus for a few months to be honest I found it a bit boring and then I got deported for working before getting slapped around in the local nick which was about the most exciting thing that happened there, I’m going back over 25 years so things have probably changed for the better by now.

Back to the subject yes the racism in football has been on the rise just have a look at the abuse black players get on social media. It’s driven by morons of course If for example Raheem Sterling had scored the goals to win the World Cup for England the same morons would be chanting his name.

As Bettie herself said on the show, racism in society - and in football - has improved since she started going in the 1970s.

However, what we talked about afterwards was that (I'm paraphrasing), while widespread in society, a lot of the racist attitude was just the prevailing wind. As racism dissipated over that time, the form of racism that is left is the nasty, spiteful, hateful stuff, rather than the 'it's just a joke...' stuff.

Words to that effect anyway.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Brilliant show guys, thank you. Barber is a great listen, such a bright man. Said it many times before, we are lucky to have him.

I felt so much pride listening to that today and the efforts we went to around Covid. We truly are a great club with wonderful fans and fantastic people working for us from top to bottom.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yes - a good listen. Excellent way to pass an hour in the car (especially when stuck in traffic). Would be even better if Al could remember that he is NOT supposed to be the star of the show! Can't complain too much, as it's free, and the presenters give up their own valuable time to do this. However, it could be even better if Al took more of a back seat and didn't spend so much time talking over Ady or the guest :)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Listened to that whilst preparing and cooking the Sunday roast. Fascinating interview. Great to hear how the club helped so many people during lockdown.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would ALSOLUTELY LOVE IT (said in an emotional Kevin Keegan stylee) if Albion Roar could somehow stage a bloodless coup and USURP the ever-pitiful Latest TV, whose crappiness knows no bounds

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes - a good listen. Excellent way to pass an hour in the car (especially when stuck in traffic). Would be even better if Al could remember that he is NOT supposed to be the star of the show! Can't complain too much, as it's free, and the presenters give up their own valuable time to do this. However, it could be even better if Al took more of a back seat and didn't spend so much time talking over Ady or the guest :)

In agreement with you James. Far too Shouty, shouting over Paul Barber too often. So much good stuff from Paul Barber-when allowed to speak uninterrupted.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don’t usually listen to anything if we’re doing crap but after beating Saints I listened to the latest roar (from before that game). Really enjoyable show - can’t disagree with anything Ady & Al said about our problems in front of goal and nice to hear calm level headed reactions from old school fans. Didn’t agree with Lamptey being a sicknote though - bit early for that and think you were forgetting last seasons games when mentioning the 9 games Al...!? Just feel Tariq has proved himself as a decent player who will go far already.

Really enjoyable and professional listen - keep up the good work :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

Never listen to this.

Is one of them a Piers Morgan and the other Susanah Reid?

Or is it more like the chuckle bros?

What is their view on Harry and Megan?

Any info much appreciated.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Meanwhile, since we last posted on this thread, the alumni of guests has included...

Danny Wilson
Andrew Crofts / Shannon Ruth
Malcolm Stuart
Martin Hinshelwood
The Brighton Bard
Steve Baker (Albion TV commentator)
Ian Hart
Henry Winter
Peter James
Guy Butters
Brian Horton
Johnny Cantor