Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

" Gus " why not " Poyet " now ?

Leas

Dec 3, 2011
Why do some of us still still say " Gus " when talking about the ex manager as if hes a friend or something ? why not " Poyet " now ? just asking

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why do some of us still still say " Gus " when talking about the ex manager as if hes a friend or something ? why not " Poyet " now ? just asking

Because some still like him? I have nothing against him, shame how it ended and it was right to end it seems but that doesn't stop me being massively thankful for the ****ing amazing last 3 years. It would be childish to ignore all the good work merely for how it ended.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because some still like him? I have nothing against him, shame how it ended and it was right to end it seems but that doesn't stop me being massively thankful for the ****ing amazing last 3 years. It would be childish to ignore all the good work merely for how it ended.
This.

Probably the best manager we've ever had.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Absolutely 100% this.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This.

Probably the best manager we've ever had.

No...that accolade goes to Alan Mullery. Div 3 to Div 1, followed by survival at the highest level.
Poyet comes high on the list but you have to weigh up so many different factors with other managers. Russell Slade's miraculous rescue act. Likewise Steve Gritt in 97. McGhee's efforts in keeping us in the Championship at Withdean, against the odds.
Overall, I'd probably place Poyet second behind Mullery. It was a very good job of steady improvement tarnished by the final few weeks when he allowed himself to get distracted by personal ambition and external issues and failed to concentrate fully on the work in hand.
Its irrelevant whether its Gus or Poyet. Its what he achieved and the legacy he left behind.
Most of the better managers in history have been referred to by surname...its a mark of respect...Shankly, Busby, Revie, Ramsey, Cloughie, Fergie, Mourinho etc.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Another this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. It was a very good job of steady improvement .

I would personally disagree with that as I think the jumps he made were well beyond "steady".

Season 1 - avoid relegation
Season 2 - CHAMPIONS
Season 3 - mid table after challenging for playoffs
Season 4 - Playoffs.

I'd say that was brilliant progression.

Maybe I've picked up too strongly on one of your words (which you didn't mean as literally as it appeared). Either way, I'm not arguing with you as it's clear you also appreciate what he did.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

This ..but i call him poyet anyway..if i ever met him (HAHA) it would be Mr Poyet

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think without realising it the opening poster makes an interesting point.

I don't call any other former managers by their first name. I personally think that shows how much we warmed to the guy. Will always call him Gus I think.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No...that accolade goes to Alan Mullery. Div 3 to Div 1, followed by survival at the highest level.

In your opinion. For plenty, Gus will be seen as the best for the style of play as much as anything.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
He was 'Gus' while he was here and was the best manager we've ever had. Then he went mental and left us and now he's 'Poyet'.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
If his name was Steve Poyet, then yep, we'd refer to him as Poyet. But how many other Gus's do you know, that relate to a BHAFC fans forum?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Much easier to refer to the fella as Gus.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I would personally disagree with that as I think the jumps he made were well beyond "steady".

Season 1 - avoid relegation
Season 2 - CHAMPIONS
Season 3 - mid table after challenging for playoffs
Season 4 - Playoffs.

I'd say that was brilliant progression.

Maybe I've picked up too strongly on one of your words (which you didn't mean as literally as it appeared). Either way, I'm not arguing with you as it's clear you also appreciate what he did.

I do appreciate what he achieved but wouldn't class it as brilliant.
How does it compare with Paul Lambert taking Norwich straight through two divisions and then consolidating in the PL. Thats pretty damn impressive. Nigel Adkins got Saints straight through as well after the ' ten point deduction ' season. Poyet's feat was to turn us around so quickly, from Div 1 strugglers.
Maybe its a case of expectation. Norwich and Soton expected and demanded PL football. A lot of our fans seem happy with Championship football and therefore to consolidate in the upper reaches, represents high achievement in their eyes.
Each to their own.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do appreciate what he achieved but wouldn't class it as brilliant.
How does it compare with Paul Lambert taking Norwich straight through two divisions and then consolidating in the PL. Thats pretty damn impressive. Nigel Adkins got Saints straight through as well after the ' ten point deduction ' season. Poyet's feat was to turn us around so quickly, from Div 1 strugglers.
Maybe its a case of expectation. Norwich and Soton expected and demanded PL football. A lot of our fans seem happy with Championship football and therefore to consolidate in the upper reaches, represents high achievement in their eyes.
Each to their own.

It's also the STYLE of football. We played some of the best football League One has EVER seen, as has been commented by fans of other clubs. We were "****ing brilliant". We didn't hoof or bully our way to the top.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
On a side note, why did news commentators always refer to Saddam Hussein as 'Saddam' whereas John Major was never 'John', George Bush was never 'Bush' and Blair (despite some attempts at 'Call Me Tony') was never 'Tony'?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here