Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cable Broadband providers?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I DON'T want line rental. I have no use for a landline. According to uSwitch, if you go for Cable/Fibre Optic Broadband you don't need a landline and therefore don't have to pay line rental.

Anyone know any good Cable providers? Tried Virgin and they can't offer it in my area, and Sky demand that you have a Sky line installed, and therefore, line rental.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Does it need to be cable?

You can get some pretty decent mobile broadband deals these days. Assuming you get a strong enough signal and an all you can eat data allowance.

Very Blue Tits

Jan 2, 2013
It might be worth checking out samknows.com (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search) in the first instance to see who is in your local exchange to see who else could possibly supply cable.

Unfortunately, for most domestic installations they will, in most cases, oblige you to sign up for line rental. That's because "cable" is actually still delivered by a metallic based line (unless you are fortunate enough to live in an area which has cable to the premise), which is owned by BT and therefore the providers still have to rent this from BT Openreach.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Virgin Media are definitely the best.

My advice would be to move house to a Virgin catchment area and get it installed.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you do find an option where "BT Line Rental" is not required, will there will be a "Cable Line Rental" instead? Why not get just regular broadband, with the most suitable service service in your area?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont think there are any pure cable providers other than Virgin. everyone else uses the old copper BT lines for the final leg.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
dont think there are any pure cable providers other than Virgin. everyone else uses the old copper BT lines for the final leg.

Think I will try speaking to Virgin and see if there's any way they'll do it.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
Sky and talk talk offer fibre optic broadband but I'm not sure if they use adsl to deliver (which would dismiss the fibre optic thing and still mean line rental) Virgin are the only ones to do fibre optic but I'm pretty sure even with broadband only that some rental charge still applies, could be wrong though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I DON'T want line rental. I have no use for a landline. According to uSwitch, if you go for Cable/Fibre Optic Broadband you don't need a landline and therefore don't have to pay line rental.

Anyone know any good Cable providers? Tried Virgin and they can't offer it in my area, and Sky demand that you have a Sky line installed, and therefore, line rental.

I think you might need to accept that regardless of whether you have a telephone line or not, if there is a cable/line bringing Broadband to your home, you're going to pay a rental for it one way or another.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you might need to accept that regardless of whether you have a telephone line or not, if there is a cable/line bringing Broadband to your home, you're going to pay a rental for it one way or another.

Virgin offer it without line rental. Do no other companies?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Virgin offer it without line rental. Do no other companies?

It costs £22 per month for 30mb - the line rental is in there basically, they've just priced it together (reminds me of ticket price - booking fees!!).

If you take their basic collection, it's £15 including freeview TV, Tivo box, BB, unlimited w/e landline calls plus £15 for the line rental. They make it so that it appears silly not to get the whole lot with them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It also costs £22 per month for 30mb - the line rental is in there basically, they've just priced it together (reminds me of ticket price - booking fees actually!!).

If you take their basic collection, it's £15 including freeview TV, Tivo box, BB, unlimited w/e landline calls plus £15 for the line rental.

Not sure where you're getting your info from but I'm looking on the VM site and it says £22.50 p/m for 60mb, which is a good price for that speed.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure where you're getting your info from but I'm looking on the VM site and it says £22.50 p/m for 60mb, which is a good price for that speed.

For the first 3 months, it then reverts to £27.50 per month.

It's £17.50 for 30mb for the first 3 months, then £22.50.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here