Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This season's budget compared to last

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know this has been discussed and debated a lot but I thought it might be useful to actually look at how much FFP is affecting us/how much Barber is cutting back on the budget.

OUT
Vicente - big wages
Harley - big wages
Dobbie - big wages
Bridge - 10-15k?
Hammond - medium wages?
Dicker - small wages
Painter - small wages
Adgestein - small wages
Bergkamp - small wages
Rodgers - small wages
Kasim - small wages

IN
Maksimenko - small wages
Andrews - medium wages?
Ward - medium wages?
Agustien - medium wages?
Chicksen - small wages
Ince - promotion to first team, wage increase?
--

Upson and Lopez were re-signings, so not worth putting in IN or OUT really, other than for signing on fees.
Last year we spent what, £2.5-3m on fees, compared to nothing (?) this season, and a wage bill that certainly looks like it should’ve gone down quite a way.

We definitely don’t look like having anywhere near the same budget as last year. Barber used the phrase “in line”. That’s very vague, and certainly not the same as saying “the same” or “identical”.

This isn’t a moan, just good to see if we can get a fairly definitive list, and people are constantly discussing this year/last year’s budgets while forgetting the number of players out.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is your definition of medium wages? I wouldn't have thought Andrews and Ward come cheaply?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Would be very surprised if the money we are paying for Ward/Andrews/Agustien isn't at least on a par with Harley.

Harley was apparently one of the top 3 highest paid players at the club.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've seen reference to Harley and high wages before ... I'd be very surprised if he were on much different to the average in the 1st team squad

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What is your definition of medium wages? I wouldn't have thought Andrews and Ward come cheaply?

By our squad's standards. We shouldn't be paying more for Andrews than we did Hammond, surely?

I know, it's a toughie to quantify when we don't have the figures.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Don't forget AEA has had a new deal, I suspect it is likely to be include a pay increase. Spanish Dave's deal could also be an increase on last years terms.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

My Wolves supporting chum reckons we are contributing towards Wards wages. Wolves are certainly still paying something but what the split is :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't forget AEA has had a new deal, I suspect it is likely to be include a pay increase. Spanish Dave's deal could also be an increase on last years terms.

Fair points, noted.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Pointless thread unless you know exactly whose earning what.

I remember people saying Vicente was on low / pay as you play wages when people moaned about the waste of money he is on. And now he is on high wages? Without established facts you can just change that to suit your points.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Upson was a loanee last season, so it is fair to assume that Stoke were paying a significant amount of his wages. I would presume that Upson's services are costing the club more this season.

With regard to Vicente, I am sure that Gus claimed his wages were small (although this may have been to pacify fans that were unhappy with his injury record).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We may have a budget in line with last year - perhaps we could not get the right players to spend it on?

Don't forget that we do NOT subscribe to the Ian Holloway football management mantra of "if you've got it, spend it".

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We may have a budget in line with last year - perhaps we could not get the right players to spend it on?

Don't forget that we do NOT subscribe to the Ian Holloway football management mantra of "if you've got it, spend it".

This is true also, maybe at the present time there weren't any available players that we could afford that would genuinely improve our squad. Lets face it for a player good enough to be an improvement on what we have it is looking like a 1m+ outlay at least maybe more.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I remember people saying Vicente was on low / pay as you play wages when people moaned about the waste of money he is on. And now he is on high wages? Without established facts you can just change that to suit your points.

As I said at the time, he was on very high wages, by our standards, and NOT pay per play either.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Upson was a loanee last season, so it is fair to assume that Stoke were paying a significant amount of his wages. I would presume that Upson's services are costing the club more this season.

With regard to Vicente, I am sure that Gus claimed his wages were small (although this may have been to pacify fans that were unhappy with his injury record).

I don't think Gus made that claim.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
FPP caps the LOSS a club can make not players wages.

Tarrico, oatway, poyet, advertising boards would have not come cheap.

Stephen ward is probably on more than bridges £10k too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I wouldn't say it was pointless, as good debate has come from it, including your points.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How much did we get in transfer fees last year in total? 850k for Jobbie and how much for Noone?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Agree totally and no mention the financial implications of player amortisation/depreciation/write offs - some of these may even be quantifiable!!!
Is the thread just about the "playing" budget anyway?

Yes, in terms of our budget and he way the book is kept we are probably still paying for a bit of CMS and a bit of Ulloa over the course of their contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here