Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another excellent choice of mine to WFH then

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Was only 2 lines open for most of the rush hour. Incident happened just after 5AM involving a Brighton bound train and the police made most of the area a crime scene until about 8.30.

Due to the complexity of the network down here, delays just snowball and are still affecting trains now, 6 hours later, and will probably continue to do so until the afternoon.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yup. Got to Shoreham station and turned round to work at home ..... again. Another delay claim going in shortly.

Can you actually claim for delay when someone has been hit by a train? Of all the reasons a train could be running late I would have thought this is the most understandable? Seems a bit mean spirited.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Can you actually claim for delay when someone has been hit by a train? Of all the reasons a train could be running late I would have thought this is the most understandable? Seems a bit mean spirited.

As long as your 30 minutes late +, you can claim. A delay is a delay at the end of the day.

And you may think its understandable, a quick look on twitter shows any people who dont think that way and are only concerned about themselves - society these days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was wondering this myself.

But when it comes to the trains, I am tired of their "please bear with us, we're in this together" bullshit rhetoric. They are utterly turd at the best of times, so goodwill went out of the window long ago.

For example, I have seen people fined for sitting in first class when the train is like sardines and running 20 minutes late. What other industry would have the front to treat its customers like that?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
For example, I have seen people fined for sitting in first class when the train is like sardines and running 20 minutes late. What other industry would have the front to treat its customers like that?

Because more often than not there are seats somewhere else on the train, but everyone just gets on at the same place in the middle of the train instead of moving down.

If your too lazy to look for a seat, then you can get fined for all I care.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

But when it comes to the trains, I am tired of their "please bear with us, we're in this together" bullshit rhetoric. They are utterly turd at the best of times, so goodwill went out of the window long ago.

That is a fair point. They do treat customers like crap.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Because more often than not there are seats somewhere else on the train, but everyone just gets on at the same place in the middle of the train instead of moving down.

Bobbins. They don't have to fine them, what's wrong with a simple and polite "Sorry Sir/Madam but there are seats free in carriages X, Y and Z if you wouldn't mind making your way there" ? Anyway, god knows why they are so precious about 1st class. I used to travel first class all the time, if you book in advance can be quite cheap but when I realised it's basically the same but with a napkin over the head rest I gave up on it. Besides, the doors were constantly sashaying open and closed with ghastly poor, overweight families squeezing through to get to cattle class. Waste of time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Sadly it is a very easy revenue gain, but I do agree it is quite pathetic to do that.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As long as your 30 minutes late +, you can claim. A delay is a delay at the end of the day.

And you may think its understandable, a quick look on twitter shows any people who dont think that way and are only concerned about themselves - society these days.

Whilst I accept that someone jumping in front of the train is hardly the operator's fault - the lack of contingency and the way they fail to respond to get things up and running quickly is completely within their control and this is why I will ALWAYS make a claim (which is actually a trivial amount of cash but means they have pay someone to handle my claim and acknowledge their failings).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It's worse on CrossCountry trains...

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/13/speci...dont-want-you-spoiling-their-journey-3922313/

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I don't think you properly read what I said. I said I have seen this happen with my own eyes. I've actually seen it 3 or 4 times (train late, first class users fined) having commuted to central London for nearly two decades now.

Yes, I know there is sometimes the odd seat available with people standing, but 99.99% of the time, when the carriage is rammed, there are no seats available.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That is a fair point. They do treat customers like crap.

I have full sympathy towards the person hit - for whatever reason - but my claim is against the company, not the individual. If they can't provide the service I pay hugely for, I don't see it as unreasonable to claim back when I can. If they had decent contingency plans, or dealt with things reasonably when there are problems, I might not bother to claim.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Then why not pay the first class fare?

I take that point, but the issue here is quite specific. i.e you arrive at the plaform, your train turns up 20 minutes late, you get onto the train with all the other pissed off "customers" and can't move. There are a handful of seats in first class so the odd person chooses to sit there because of the crush.

Along comes a "revenue protection officer" and fines the bloke for the crime. He doesn't offer the guy the chance to pay the first class upgrade, just fines him.

In answer to your question, if you don't know the train is going to be 20 mins late or utterly rammed, you don't necessarly want to pay the first class price. However, some people might be prepared to pay the upgrade once they are on board.

Do you see now?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

So so so so so so WRONG on so many counts wrong.

You will find EXPERIENCED commuters use all available space. Its the numpties who fill up the "doorways" on the way to Falmer that get my goat as the train pulls away with EMPTY carriages because everyone is standing by the ****ing doors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here