Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old guard finished

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
Understand Matt Miller has taken 'voluntary redundancy' because his role has changed too much. As a mate, think it's pretty sad and wish him all the best, top guy. Good luck Matt

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a shame. Seemed pretty inevitable, what with one of Oscar's chaps being a fitness expert. Good luck, stretch.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not unusual really when a new manager / Head Coach arrives he brings his own team.

I have to say though given the loyalty Mike Phelan showed at Man Utd I was surprised they got rid of him

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
That's a shame. Seemed pretty inevitable, what with one of Oscar's chaps being a fitness expert. Good luck, stretch.
Agreed. Thing is, he was here before Poyet and no doubt he could work with Oscar(from what I know of him) but think his role had become so watered down he knows he can do better. Brilliant fitness coach/exercise and holistic motivator for those who can benefit from his future career. Not called stretch for nothing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed. Thing is, he was here before Poyet and no doubt he could work with Oscar(from what I know of him) but think his role had become so watered down he knows he can do better. Brilliant fitness coach/exercise and holistic motivator for those who can benefit from his future career. Not called stretch for nothing.

It's no surprise tbh. We commented at the very first friendly at Whitehawk, that Torrijo (?) was doing Stretch's normal stuff, and he was basically reduced to water boy. Then at the home league games, he was just working with he subs, rather than doing the main team warm-up.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
It's no surprise tbh. We commented at the very first friendly at Whitehawk, that Torrijo (?) was doing Stretch's normal stuff, and he was basically reduced to water boy. Then at the home league games, he was just working with he subs, rather than doing the main team warm-up.

Yep, I thought the same.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sorry to hear that, Matt seems a good bloke and hope he finds a new opportunity soon.

Ultimately an unwitting casualty of Gus's vanity and probably inevitable with OG bringing in his own team. So if Gus ever gets himself another managerial job you would hope he would find a role for his former coaching / fitness team?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry to hear that, Matt seems a good bloke and hope he finds a new opportunity soon.

Ultimately an unwitting casualty of Gus's vanity and probably inevitable with OG bringing in his own team. So if Gus ever gets himself another managerial job you would hope he would find a role for his former coaching / fitness team?

Unlikely if he goes as has been suggested to Benfica.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He's a great bloke. I hope he gets something he really enjoys.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Maybe - but if OG can bring 'his' coaching and fitness team from Spain via Israel to The Amex then why shouldn't Gus take his with him, wherever that may be?

After all they evolved into a successful unit. Yes Taricco was his right hand man but the question is whether Gus also sees Matt (and Charlie?) as part of his 'team', or just as collateral damage from his exit? There isn't much sentiment in footie so the latter seems quite possible.

I suppose it is also whether Matt and Charlie would want to continue that relationship, especially at a foreign Club - and for example how good their Portuguese is?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus only brought Tanno in, and was happy to work with staff already here, although he changed the gk coach later on. As said before Matt had worked with several managers.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Gus only brought Tanno in, and was happy to work with staff already here, although he changed the gk coach later on. As said before Matt had worked with several managers.

Arguably Tanno, Charlie and Matt became Gus's first proper managerial / coaching team so will be interesting to see if he bothers to keep them together.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Arguably Tanno, Charlie and Matt became Gus's first proper managerial / coaching team so will be interesting to see if he bothers to keep them together.

I can't see him going for Charlie, personally, I think that was more about an old boy connection - bit like Nathan Jones a sort of past link.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I can't see him going for Charlie, personally, I think that was more about an old boy connection - bit like Nathan Jones a sort of past link.

I tend to agree - Charlie was right for that role as assistant coach / enforcer with the Albion and I can't really see him rocking up at Benfica (although good on him if he did!).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Why not? Carlo Ancelotti's assistant at Real Madrid is an English ex-PE teacher who has never played professional football and has worked his way up from coaching children.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Last time I saw him in a non-Albion setting was a mutual friend's stag in Oxford doing Parkour at 6am bouncing off the historic buildings after a heavy night much to the amusement of all the young toffs who were spilling out of their May balls in their dinner suits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here