Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I wouldn't give up the day job

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The victim is buried in Preston churchyard.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Hoping you will publish a 'teaser' on NSC. Apart from the famous trunk murder I can only think of the Grand Bombing as being of particular note.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hoping you will publish a 'teaser' on NSC. Apart from the famous trunk murder I can only think of the Grand Bombing as being of particular note.

And the killing of the Jewish police chief - can't remember his name but that was a famous Brighton murder too.

Interesting story BoF - do keep us posted if you find more stuff like that, always interested in Brighton history (BTW, if it's not a bear, it's spelled "grisly")

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sadly there are a few other tragedies that put Brighton on the map for the wrong reasons - 'The Babes in The Wood' plus the unsolved murder of a schoolboy at Ovingdean in the '60s come to mind, plus several other murders of a domestic nature.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I'm trying to write a murder mystery based in Victorian Brighton and my research came across this very interesting tale of Lover's Walk.

http://rpmcollections.wordpress.com/tag/lovers-walk/

Anymore interesting tales out there?

It doesn't mention it in that piece but in the book 'Murders of Old Sussex' that I have it states that: "Poor Celia was positively ugly, being described as only 4ft 3ins tall. Her head was of extraordinary size in proportion to the rest of her and her hands turned outwards 'like the paws of a mole.' ". Still, she had a good heart.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Gruesome and Grizzly Side of Brighton

Sadly there are a few other tragedies that put Brighton on the map for the wrong reasons - 'The Babes in The Wood' plus the unsolved murder of a schoolboy at Ovingdean in the '60s come to mind, plus several other murders of a domestic nature.

And not forgetting Maria Colwell. Very very sad local case.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Per above - Keith Lyon was knifed to death for a few shillings in the 1960s walking from Ovendean to Woodingdean along the bridleway - killer(s) never caught - (yet)

Old school mate of mine, Leigh Shaw was murdered in Whitehawk over a debate around West Ham Utd. Believe the killer put some snooker balls in a sock and wrapped it round Leigh's head a few times - he got life [for a life]

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Gruesome and Grizzly Side of Brighton

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Very interesting, thank you. I shall pay a visit.

Been a while but it says something like

"Beneath this path lies portions of the remains of Celia Holloway who was brutally murdered in the Lovers Walk of this parish"

Where's the rest of her then?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Lovers walk is still there. It's near the railway viaduct over London Road and doesn't look too romantic these days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here