Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet On Shortlist To Replace Jesus

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
According to the Mirror:

'Michael Laudrup and Gus Poyet are among a list of managers drawn up by Portuguese club Benfica.

They handed boss Jorge Jesus a new two-year contract in the summer, despite a disastrous run that saw them lose two cup finals and miss out on the league title. But sources close to Benfica claim *contingency plans have been *discussed if Jesus cannot turnaround last season’s collapse.

Swansea boss Laudrup features prominently among Benfica’s *potential successors for Jesus, while Poyet’s current availability has been noted.

Benfica have won, drawn and lost their opening three games and it *remains to be seen how long Jesus will be given.

Laudrup has agreed a truce with Swansea owner Huw Jenkins, following a turbulent start to the summer that saw the Welsh club cut ties with the manager’s agent Bayram Tutumlu. He has close links to *Benfica, and he and Laudrup went to watch the Portuguese club play *Sporting Lisbon last season.

Laudrup, who has a £10million *release clause in his contract, was *approached to take over at Benfica in 2008 by director of football Rui Costa. Poyet, sacked by Brighton in June, is the bookies’ favourite to succeed Alan Pardew at Newcastle.'

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Has anyone looked in the tomb to see if there's a turd on the Turin shroud?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Strange that Osasuna never made a move for GP last week considering he's a free agent or did I miss that?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I really hope he gets the job, perfect, out of the country, off our tv screens, and cant come ba k to haunt us as the manager of an english club, fingers crossed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think he is nailed on for the job

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Would be very convenient if Gus gets a job abroad and Benfica might be big enough to meet his aspirations.

I see that GP has been mentioned on other forums in connection with speculation over the Fulham job. Interesting that the latest responses to that are lukewarm, whereas a few weeks back he was being strongly tipped. Now there are reservations that he has 'baggage' and noting he hasn't been awash with job offers. So maybe he will have to look further afield.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I love the way finishing as runners up in three competitions is deemed to be a collapse. I appreciate it is Benfica but talk about high expectations.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Brilliant thread title. All downhill from there once it got to the report.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports