Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chile - dark horses for next years world cup?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24006165

Good article this. I love the football Chile played last time round and they seemed to have improved. Defensively they still let in goals but most of the team were in the 2007 team that made the World Youth Cup semi-finals. Might be worth a cheeky bet for the semis if the odds are decent.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
For producing this they deserve a go.

Vinedo_Chadwick_1999__36566.1277994850.1280.1280.jpg

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
for me its all about dark horses finding their way into Belgian burgers

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
80/1 at Bill Hills, got to be worth a cockle seeing as one of the 'locals' always tend to win in South America. Boringly I fancy our Argentinian friends to win.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
For me it's all about Belgium being the dark horses at the next WC.

Agree with that as well, but not in South America I fancy. I think they have an excellent chance of winning the next euros if they maintain fitness.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I don't agree re: Belgium.
If it was a European based world cup I'd agree but South America is a different beast.
Expect this to be Messi's world cup and a win for Argentina against Spain in the final. Brazil and one of the other European powers (Germany Italy Holland) to be losing semi.
Surely the fastest progressing nation is Belgium, but a lack of tournament experience and climate will be their weakness.
Am I right in thinking that a significant number of Belgium's stars are playing in the prem? Can only think of Courtois and Witsel who aren't.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Don't waste your money. The world cup can only be won by one of four teams.

Dec 29, 2011
I don't agree re: Belgium.
If it was a European based world cup I'd agree but South America is a different beast.
Expect this to be Messi's world cup and a win for Argentina against Spain in the final. Brazil and one of the other European powers (Germany Italy Holland) to be losing semi.
Surely the fastest progressing nation is Belgium, but a lack of tournament experience and climate will be their weakness.
Am I right in thinking that a significant number of Belgium's stars are playing in the prem? Can only think of Courtois and Witsel who aren't.

I don't know who their prefered RB is, but they don't play in the BPL.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Good call but I don't think you can call 5th favourite a 'dark horse'!

well I'll be......

best odds

Brazil 7/2
Argentina 5/1
Spain 11/2
Germany 11/2
Belgium 18/1
Italy 20/1
Holland 22/1
England don't be stupid

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For me it's all about Belgium being the dark horses at the next WC.

I've been saying this for ages! Yeah, if you want to pick a team outside of the traditional top nations (Germany, Argentina, Italy, Spain and Brazil) then my money's still on Belgium.

EDIT: Didn't realise they were fifth favourites! Maybe I'm not as perceptive as I thought! In my defence I have been bigging them up for a while.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Love the quote from the Argie right back. Can you imagine an English player speaking this articulately about tactics:

"We are not allowed to be afraid of playing," said Rodriguez. "We always attack with six players and defend with four. The six rotate, keep the ball moving, occupy and create space, and the four wait and close down space to win the ball back. The order of these four is fundamental, as is the disorder of the six."

I'm glad to see Colombia on course to qualify too.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Will take an interest in their friendly away to Spain tomorrow night. Will be a test of how good they are against the best side in the world. 9/1 for them to win is a bit of value.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
As I said earlier Belgium are a great bet for the next euros. But Chile definitely can do really well in their own manor. Interestingly Mexico struggling to qualify. Two tough games to go though should they make the qualifier they should get past New Zealand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here