Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ok NSC what would you do? Diclofenec and Co-codimal Advice

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I spent two days in hospital (Mon-Weds) after having some sort of seizure (it was pretty bad like the lorry hitting the back of your head) it came completely out of the blue 3 small ones then a biggy.
CT scan.
Ex-ray
two MRI scans
and an extremely painful lumber puncture...and my pain threshold in pretty high
I came out on Wednesday still with a slight headache and nothing showing on any of the tests, they have taken me off Diclofenec and put me on Co-codimal which might have been OK while you are laying in hospital but when you get out to a normal life they are like taking Smarties, I found it so bad today that I am having to write this with on hand (left).
now I have the choice of continuing to take the Co-codimal or reverting to the Diclofenec, the only problem is my Doctor will I think stop prescribing me the latter as he did not want to prescribe them in the first place.
so the question is do I stay pain free and keep taking the Diclofenec and chance him throwing me off his list
or do I continue with the Smarties, Morphine, and any of the others that do not work,walk round like a bloody zombie and still in pain.

I have always stated to my GP that I know the bad side of the drug but would rather walk around painless and drop dead after 5 years that go the other way and live in pain, + the fact that they did not find any bleeds in my brain so it would not have been caused by Diclofenec.
any sensible input would be gladly recieved
my pain at this moment is if on a 1/10 scale ....8/9

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Go back to the doctor and ask for a second opinion.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
These drugs do different things to different people. I was on cocodamol for a while and they did nothing, while someone else I spoke to said they stopped nearly all pain and made him think he was floating on air. The best thing is to listen to your doctor and give him frequent feedback on what works best for you.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Go back to the doctor and ask for a second opinion.

this week some time
and I think it might end up as the shitstorm of all shitstorms it really is getting to me now

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Dodgy to give out medical advice on here Glas.

One of the known side effects of codeine though ( along with addiction and constipation) is rebound headache. Ironically you could be causing your own problem.

Non steroidal anti inflammatories like diclofenac ibuprofen etc. are less risky in the short term I imagine and,if they aren't suspecting a bleed,I can't see why they would have an issue. He certainly won't delist you and, wants to take more notice of your symptoms than he seems to be just now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
These drugs do different things to different people. I was on cocodamol for a while and they did nothing, while someone else I spoke to said they stopped nearly all pain and made him think he was floating on air. The best thing is to listen to your doctor and give him frequent feedback on what works best for you.

this is a maybe as he will be looking for an excuse to get me off Diclofenec....but we will see maybe he will be Ok about it

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Stroke more cats - works for me.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I had similar pounding pain in my head for a week last year and after initial diagnosis (flu) proved imbecilic I got a second opinion and was prescribed naproxen and co-codamine. The doc told me to take one naproxen three times a day and only take the c-codamol if necessary. I took one naproxen pill and the pain went. Not completely but after 48 hours it was gone. over the following week I slowly got my energy back.

My advice would be to try one of the diclofenec pills as this is in the same class as naproxen apparently and see what happens. If you need to continue taking it i'd go to the doc and ask if you could try naproxen. I will add of course that your incident is clearly worse than mine. I didn't suffer a seizure but i felt like that bloke in Scanners who's head explodes. It was very unpleasant and very frightening.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Diclofenac is close to comin off the list of allowed drugs, saying that Naproxen does bugger all for me.. ask about colchicine, apparently it is very good.

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
sounds terrible . Read lot of stuff about heart related problems with diclofenac .Get well soon

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I had similar pounding pain in my head for a week last year and after initial diagnosis (flu) proved imbecilic I got a second opinion and was prescribed naproxen and co-codamine. The doc told me to take one naproxen three times a day and only take the c-codamol if necessary. I took one naproxen pill and the pain went. Not completely but after 48 hours it was gone. over the following week I slowly got my energy back.

My advice would be to try one of the diclofenec pills as this is in the same class as naproxen apparently and see what happens. If you need to continue taking it i'd go to the doc and ask if you could try naproxen. I will add of course that your incident is clearly worse than mine. I didn't suffer a seizure but i felt like that bloke in Scanners who's head explodes. It was very unpleasant and very frightening.
Naproxen I have tried and it was like the old "sweethearts"

E=Birdie Boy;5928617]Diclofenac is close to comin off the list of allowed drugs, saying that Naproxen does bugger all for me.. ask about colchicine, apparently it is very good.[/QUOTE]

that looks interesting and thanks for the heads up on Diclofenac

sounds terrible . Read lot of stuff about heart related problems with diclofenac .Get well soon

they mentioned a heart murmur which I already knew about
sems like my brain is the only thing that actually works properly:lolol:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Naproxen I have tried and it was like the old "sweethearts"

E=Birdie Boy;5928617]Diclofenac is close to comin off the list of allowed drugs, saying that Naproxen does bugger all for me.. ask about colchicine, apparently it is very good.

that looks interesting and thanks for the heads up on Diclofenac

they mentioned a heart murmur which I already knew about
sems like my brain is the only thing that actually works properly:lolol:[/QUOTE]

No worries. All the best and hope you get it sorted.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
A colleague of mine had a major seizure earlier this year and, like you all the tests came back negative, except his blood pressure, which was through the roof. Once this was under control he has had no more problems. Is your BP okay?

it was near to perfect while I was in hospital
this will be another thing to bring up with the Dr as I do take some tablets to keep it down ................Hmmm got me thinking now

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
As some have alluded to above these are different drugs delivering different reliefs. Also agree that it is dangerous to offer or accept advise in such a location as this :). Please do re-consult your doc and provide him/her with your concerns and experience of both drugs.

Co-Codimal is a pain killer
Diclofenec is an anti inflammatory.

Hope you get back on an even keel soon.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As some have alluded to above these are different drugs delivering different reliefs. Also agree that it is dangerous to offer or accept advise in such a location as this :). Please do re-consult your doc and provide him/her with your concerns and experience of both drugs.

Co-Codimal is a pain killer
Diclofenec is an anti inflammatory.

Hope you get back on an even keel soon.

this will be next week, he is a very good Dr and hopefully we can come up with something between us

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Aside from your drug question, what did they as to what this problem you have is?

Could be a severe Cluster Headache. Some people with an acute version of that describe this as worse than child birth. It's very common that males that start getting these are around 40-50 years old. I don't know your age of course. Was/is the pain also feel like you have an electrical sensation in your head as well?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Did he give you an exact reason he stopped the first drug, I would not take it against doc's orders.
Colchicine is good at doing it's job but it's like a bomb going off in in your stomach, first time scarred the life out of me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Aside from your drug question, what did they as to what this problem you have is?

Could be a severe Cluster Headache. Some people with an acute version of that describe this as worse than child birth. It's very common that males that start getting these are around 40-50 years old. I don't know your age of course. Was/is the pain also feel like you have an electrical sensation in your head as well?

Interesting as I have this possible prognosis hanging over me at the moment, I was under Hurstwood Park, but now have had a second opinion from the Royal Free in London. The pain is immense and cannot be relieved.......

I am on Sumatripten (?sp), if that helps........

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
it was near to perfect while I was in hospital
this will be another thing to bring up with the Dr as I do take some tablets to keep it down ................Hmmm got me thinking now

Diclofenac must not be taken in conjunction many types of BP tablets. Worth checking that this isn't the case with your prescribed medicine.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here