Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just got a record player for my birthday.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
After playing bits of the standard stuff, Beatles, Stones, Led Zep I'm listening this morning to the wonderful Jazz by Ry Cooder.

I don't recall it being acclaimed when it came out in '78, but it's got such a wonderful Sunday morning lazy feel to it.

Anyone else heard it and what would you play if you had a record player and could dig out your old vinyl (whether you kept them or not)?

"Live and Dangerous" - Thin Lizzy.

Used to frequent the Longplayer record shop in Tunbridge Wells during my lunch hour - shop now closed and demolished! Staff were great, one (an affable Dutchman) used to greet all the customers with "hello mate". He was a great salesman, if you bought an LP he would often say, "give this one a listen, mate, if you like (insert name of artist of LP just purchased) you will probably like this" and put a new release on. Can't remember the album I was buying but I distinctly remember that "Guitar Town" by Steve Earle was one that he sold me as an "add on" purchase! Have yet to see the him live but would love to.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I must buy another record player. I've a good few rock and blues albums collecting dust in the loft. I could just do with some Roger Chapman at the moment.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yesterday I was playing a record issued by Sounds magazine called Charisma, a strange selection of artists, including The Residents, Genesis (Match of the Day) , Vivabeat, Monty Python and Prince Far I.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Used to frequent the Longplayer record shop in Tunbridge Wells during my lunch hour - shop now closed and demolished! Staff were great, one (an affable Dutchman) used to greet all the customers with "hello mate". He was a great salesman, if you bought an LP he would often say, "give this one a listen, mate, if you like (insert name of artist of LP just purchased) you will probably like this" and put a new release on. Can't remember the album I was buying but I distinctly remember that "Guitar Town" by Steve Earle was one that he sold me as an "add on" purchase! Have yet to see the him live but would love to.

I have similar memories of Jingles in East Grinstead, where I spent an absurd amount of money in my youth. I'd often go in with no idea about what I wanted and would ask the two helpful chaps in there what I might like. They were chock full of suggestions and given my purchase history were very good with coming up with suitable recommendations. About 9 times out of 10 they'd come up with the goods and I'd leave with a smile on my face at having discovered a new record.

I know we still have a handful of record shops in Brighton, but we're bucking the trend somewhat by being such a bohemian and quirky city that just about manages to support them. It's a real shame as I genuinely struggle to find new music these days, without the help of knowledgeable record store staff. We have a real dearth of variety and quality in our radio offerings in this country so you're unlikely to discover anything new and worthwhile on Radio 1, Heart FM or any of their near identical equivalents.

Perhaps getting older has put me out of touch a bit with new music but I can't help but feel there should be easier ways to discover artists and albums I've never heard of before. What do other people do to discover new music? Is it all done by matching algorithms online now? Do iTunes and Spotify have a monopoly on telling you what you should be listening to?

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I used to spend many a happy hour in the Longplayer. Just invested in a deck, amp and speakers - now spending many a happy hour in Resident.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
After playing bits of the standard stuff, Beatles, Stones, Led Zep I'm listening this morning to the wonderful Jazz by Ry Cooder.

I don't recall it being acclaimed when it came out in '78, but it's got such a wonderful Sunday morning lazy feel to it.

Anyone else heard it and what would you play if you had a record player and could dig out your old vinyl (whether you kept them or not)?

Over the years, I think that Ry Cooder has developed in to the individual rock (for want of a better word) musician for whom I have most respect. It's not only his own music, it is doing things like the Buena Vista Social Club, recording with Ali Farka Toure, producing a recent (superb) Album for Mavis Staples and so on and so on.

But don't know Jazz and will check it out.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Amazon have just informed me I might be interested in Cliff Richard's! Well I am not and never have been, in any format. I might get the vinyl urge to put on Wheels of confusion from BS Vol 4 , Michael Quatro's In collaboration with the gods or even a bit of Count Basie. Thanks for reminding me SSE off to put on a platter now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I had that album about the same time I bought Chicken Skin Music. It's very good.
Happy meeting in Glory is a great toon.

Hard to believe he played all those years ago with Beefheart.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Jazz by Ry Cooder - great call for Sunday AM listening.

I would offer Nighthawks at the Diner by Tom Waits for some late night, slightly sozzled malt whisky induced armchair listening.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I can confirm that "JAZZ" is a brilliant album,
a solitary evening with nice whisky is also a good way to accompany this masterpiece

......Perhaps getting older has put me out of touch a bit with new music but I can't help but feel there should be easier ways to discover artists and albums I've never heard of before. What do other people do to discover new music? Is it all done by matching algorithms online now? Do iTunes and Spotify have a monopoly on telling you what you should be listening to?

Read various music comics and pick out any that I like the look of, then listen on Spotify. If I like it gets saved, if not it gets deleted. All for £9.99 pm, bargain as I work from home.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Vinyl's been marching back for years and rightly so. I'm still using my faithful Sony stack system and it's rare a day goes by without at least one album going on the hifi. Love the sound quality with an LP, and the whole ritual of handling a record and putting it on, reading the sleeve, perusing the lyric insert (if there is one) etc.

Had a bit of a sort through my vinyl on Friday night and did a car boot locally in Worthing on Saturday. Sold around 30 LPs at 50p a pop, plus some CDs, DVDs and books, then took the unsold stuff to a local charity shop. Very satisfying.

I love the way old tech and new tech can feed each other these days. Very rarely stick a CD on: much more likely to either listen to music on my laptop or phone, or on vinyl via the hifi. I'm constantly either rediscovering old stuff I used to love (via eBay or independent music download site eMusic), or finding new stuff I like (via my kids, radio 2's blues and roots/folk shows, or TV like Jools Holland's show).

Maybe we need a regular Vinyl thread: buyers/sellers, new releases and old school discoveries.

My best recent charity shop buys: Led Zep II, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Nancy & Lee (Sinatra and Hazelwood) and The World of David Bowie (Decca) - all very decent condition, £1 each. My preferred eras: rock/blues/prog and folk from 67-74, and punk/new wave/power pop/post punk from 76-82 or so.

What have you picked up recently?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I still have my Denon record player in the loft. Brought in 1983, it was my pride and joy and in 1989 i paid £130 for a new stylus. Unfortunately my ex sabotaged it when we split, so it remains as a keepsake.
It is strange but some of the music that i liked was badly produced on vinyl, mainly Soul and Motown and the Arista label was crap, which ruled out Aretha and the like.
Bowie was always well produced, as was Elton (although not a big fan of Elton) and i think that Frankie Goes To Hollywood really shows up a good deck and amp.
I have a box set of Motown Greatest Hits, only been played twice, but the quality is not top notch.
My ex also fried my Audiolab Amp, luckily my cousin worked for Arcam (now Mission) and he got me a decent amp at cost price.
Mission speakers in the bedroom, Arcam CD player and Amp, with a Denon Tuner.
A decent record player with decent back up, and vinyl is brilliant.
Even Aspinall sounds ok on my tuner on BHA away games.. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here