Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup 2014 -- flight planning

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Anyone on this forum given this any thought ?

My initial observations/questions are:

1) looks like very few direct flights from uk to brazil ?! And direct prices are pretty mental already !

2) have all flights been released for next summer ? If yes I'm thinking price is only going to go up now

3) any recommendations for a stopover destination to add something to the holiday ?

Ta

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
was just looking myself out of curiosity yesterday, BA was coming up about 570 each way to Rio or bit cheaper if going via Madrid and onward with Iberian (about 470 ew) - didn't think this too excessive considering.

think accommodation and tickets could be a more inflated financial burden and difficult to secure, not sure how appealing a stopover in Madrid is in June/July but guess you were more thinking of stopover other side of Atlantic which I would think would again increase price

Stumpy Tim

Thought about it as my best mate lives in Rio. Problem is that England could be playing anywhere, and much of Brazil isn't actually particularly nice. If the whole tournament was in Rio I would be there

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Thought about it as my best mate lives in Rio. Problem is that England could be playing anywhere, and much of Brazil isn't actually particularly nice. If the whole tournament was in Rio I would be there

Agreed I can only make quarters onwards so England probably out by then anyway so no worries there !! Thinking I might do Argentina as well....

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Mmm I've been pondering doing this in my noggin. A couple of my friends are doing it but they're pretty rich and would probably be unimpressed by any talk of doing it on a hack's miniscule budget, so I tend to zone out when they talk of it. Think one of TSLR co-eds is doing it. I was dreaming of maybe going to Argentina and then switching to Brazil when it begins...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
was just looking myself out of curiosity yesterday, BA was coming up about 570 each way to Rio or bit cheaper if going via Madrid and onward with Iberian (about 470 ew) - didn't think this too excessive considering.

think accommodation and tickets could be a more inflated financial burden and difficult to secure, not sure how appealing a stopover in Madrid is in June/July but guess you were more thinking of stopover other side of Atlantic which I would think would again increase price

Just over a grand would be a superb price. I have a free flight that I have earnt with BA Amex this year so hopefully I will be able to use this for next summer. Would be very happy with £1040 for 2 people.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
The only 2 places i'm really interested in visiting are Rio (always wanted to go there) and Salvador up the coast ( cultural beach resort , also a venue for WC ) would recommend Salvador as second venue / stop off - can fly Gatwick / Lisbon / Salvador , again about 1100 return at the moment (TAP Portugal)

ps this isn't doing me any good im starting to take it seriously !

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
we went to South Africa back in 2010 and just decided to opt for the nicest city Cape Town - we couldnt have given two hoots about England but did end up seeing them...in the excellent 0-0 draw against the power house that is Algeria!

i'd just get to Rio and soak it up and leave an extra week spare in case you fancy travelling - why not?

i have no idea at all so don't shoot me down but you tried flights to Miami/Tampa/Chicago/San Jose then short flight to South America?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
patcham -totally agree re England, not the point here, much rather avoid and soak up some culture _ get tiks for Japan v Ghana game or something, or big screen on the beach with a "few" others !

Brazil is BIG. It covers three time zones. Moving from one city to another won't be cheap or easy, either.

Brazil is 736 times bigger than Qatar. And isn't that the World Cup that we are now nailed on certainties to win? As long as the FA can get their act together and control the excesses of the Premier League?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
patcham -totally agree re England, not the point here, much rather avoid and soak up some culture _ get tiks for Japan v Ghana game or something, or big screen on the beach with a "few" others !

100% this

first night in Cape Town we nervously walked around, found a bar and ended up sharing drinks all night with a group of 8 Paraguayan fans - was brilliant and much more fun than meeting Dave from Pompey and Daz from Sheff United!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I'd suggest look at going via Miami - it's the primary American Airlines hub that serves South America - you'll get better prices as a layover, can fly BA LHR-MIA and then connect to wherever you need on American. Plus you can plan a Miami stopover :)

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lima / Mexico city / Miami / Panama - or is Panama dodgy. Probably OK if your names Vasquez.

Anyway what dates for flights, Im at work so can have a quick look of needed. But not here long

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
100% this

first night in Cape Town we nervously walked around, found a bar and ended up sharing drinks all night with a group of 8 Paraguayan fans - was brilliant and much more fun than meeting Dave from Pompey and Daz from Sheff United!

Hey I'm Dave from Pompey. What's wrong with my company? ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Scheduled flights are released 330 days in advance, on a rolling basis. The World Cup ends on July 13 so flights will have been available from August 13 (give or take) - those who knew what they were doing would have snapped up flights at that point or very shortly after.

Given a direct flight to Orlando in school holiday season costs c£1000, I wouldn't consider a similar fare to Rio during the World Cup to be too bad at all.

It's highly unlikely reward/free fares would be available given the obvious demand but you might strike lucky. Flights are available now, so if there are reward flights available you should snag one now as it's rare for further ones to be released. You'd do well to get a non-revenue fare I reckon.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'd suggest look at going via Miami - it's the primary American Airlines hub that serves South America - you'll get better prices as a layover, can fly BA LHR-MIA and then connect to wherever you need on American. Plus you can plan a Miami stopover :)

Already going to miami in feb but love it so would happily go again !! Will prob bite the bullet and book direct flight in the next week.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's highly unlikely reward/free fares would be available given the obvious demand but you might strike lucky. Flights are available now, so if there are reward flights available you should snag one now as it's rare for further ones to be released. You'd do well to get a non-revenue fare I reckon.

I think you're right I need to look properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here